Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NTFS read/write support in Ubuntu

• 22-03-2007 1:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone on the Unix forum, last time I started a thread here it was about how good I thought Ubuntu was; email and internet worked "out of box", a lot of useful apps throw in for good measure and automatic software updates.

I've more good news today because I've just enabled NTFS support in Ubuntu 6.10 and it's fantastic. Using the newly updated NTFS-3g driver, it provides NTFS capabilities for internal and external drives and it's easy to install and configure. I now have complete read and write support for my external NTFS USB drives, and I can browse through my Windows partitions as well, represented by icons on my desktop. So there's less booting into Windows in order to get something I need.

I used these step by step instructions on how to enable NTFS read & write support: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=217009 The only thing to add is that I needed to restart my PC, after configuring using the NTFS Configuration Tool (Applications Menu --> System Tools --> NTFS Configuration Tool), to get the external drive support.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

I hear that NTFS-3g is pretty stable but I still can't bring myself to use it on my precious external HD data that I foolishly formatted as NTFS.

Has anyone experienced fs corruption or anything nasty like that after using it? Think it really is safe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

I've been using it for a few months now and nothing has went wrong that I know of. Sometimes when starting up Windows it does a filesystem check (or something like that). But that may have nothing to do with ntfs-3g.

If I had anything very important on the ntfs partition I probably wouldn't use it until I was fairly sure it was stable. But I back most of my data up on an external FAT32 HD so no worries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Duffman wrote:
    Think it really is safe?

I haven't used it yet, but it is included as non-experimental (i.e. safe) in the 2.6.20 kernel, so it's safe to say that it's safe. :)

Advertisement