Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bus and Truck Drving Lessons and Tests???

Options
  • 22-03-2007 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Hope this is the right forum, as it is something to do with learning to drive except buses and trucks.

Does anyone know or have have information on how you can apply for these types of lessons or tests???? And rougghly how much lessons would cost.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭N_Raid

Same as you get normal car lessons. Have a look through the golden pages/phone book. I found the Airport driving school, ISM, and Alexander (assuming you're in dublin). They all did lessons for C and D category as far as i remember, don't know what size truck you're talking about but they were the ones i was enquiring about. The price seemed to be the same with those three. It's €45 per hour and they only do them in 2 hour blocks. So €90 a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I did my truck lessons with Nicky Collier http://www.colliersdrivingschool.ie/ and the bus with ISM. It's been a good few years ago so I don't remember the prices.

To apply for a provisional licence for a rigid truck (category C) you must have a full licence in category B.

To apply for a provisional licence for a large bus (category D) or minibus (category D1) you must also have a full licence in category B.

To apply for a provisional licence for an articulated truck (category C+E) you must have a full licence in category C.

You apply for the tests in the normal way and it costs €76 to do a truck or bus test. Waiting times are generally much shorter than for cars. Not all test centres are equipped to deal with large vehicles especially in smaller towns so your test may be arranged for the next appropriate venue.

Don't fall into the trap of doing a C1 (small rigid truck) or D1 (minibus) test as you can go straight to a large rigid truck or large bus from a car licence.

If at all possible, do your bus test in a manual bus. Most bus drivers who train with Dublin Bus, Bus Eireann, London Transport etc. have been tested in an automatic only and are therefore restricted to driving autos. This also restricts employment prospects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Thanks lads, yeah i am in dublin and have my full B licence.

I just want to get them as they are always handy to have.

Wishbone, if i appy and pass a test for cat C do i automatically receive the C1 on my licence as well, same question about the bus if i were to pass cat D do i also get D1 automatically

I have heard somewhere, if i was to pass cat C then C+E (artic), you automatically receive B+E, D and D+E is this true???

Thanks again for the help guys

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Wishbone, if i appy and pass a test for cat C do i automatically receive the C1 on my licence as well, same question about the bus if i were to pass cat D do i also get D1 automatically
    Yes C will give you C1 and D will give you D1.
    I have heard somewhere, if i was to pass cat C then C+E (artic), you automatically receive B+E, D and D+E is this true???
    Not exactly.

If you pass C+E you will automatically be granted B+E and C1+E.

If you have a full D licence and a full C+E licence they will automatically grant a D+E licence without a test as there are no facilities for testing it. This will also automatically give you a D1+E also.

Advertisement