Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Computer

• 22-03-2007 1:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭

Bit of advice needed pleaseNew . I've to get a new computer for work (for myself) and I've been given carte blanche to get whatever I want (within reason). I was just wondering if I got one from Dell that had Vista on it would it be still compatible to use on the office network as every other computer runs on XP.

I wish we had an IT section that would just sort out a new computer for me but thems the joys when working for small company.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,373 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

working on a network etc, i think it should mostly be fine, depends on what exactly you'll be using it for. Might have trouble with shared printers, thats what I've found anyway (although that was trying to use a vista connected printer from an xp machine). I would say if everyone else has xp, it's a much safer bet. Vista is pretty locked down and while the security is probably better, it annoys me alot with asking for permission to do everything. Xp still offer better software compatibility and will do for a while I think.

If the machine will be for your own use and you know the software you use will work and your network need aren't to complicated, vista will probably be fine. If you like getting the most out of the machine like experimenting with wide range of software and aren't too fussed about having the fancy desktop I'd say stick with xp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Thanks for that. I might just stick with XP so. Less complicated that way and I suppose XP is tried and tested at this stage so why fix it if it's not broke.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you got VISTA business you could downgrade to XP PRO. You would have to sort all the drivers your self and find an XP CD, I'm not sure if you could even use an OEM one or not, you would have to ring up MS to get them to give you a windows XP key and activation. messy but possible.

You could then upgrade back to VISTA later on, like after the first service pack.

Advertisement