Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Civic V's Toyota Corolla...both 1.4

Options
  • 22-03-2007 2:23pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looking at either a 1.4 Civic or 1.4 Corolla 04 or 05
    Really just for short trips around the town, 1-4 miles typically

Both come with 3 yr warranty, air-con, other specs very similar all the way down to mpg

Some local garage prices - I know I can get cheaper on a private deal but bear with me, this thread is about which one to go for and these prices indicate the relative market value of each car

04 Honda Civic, 1.4, 25,000 miles, 5 door hatch, blue, new tyres, air-con, alloys, cd etc etc €14k

05 Toyota Corolla, 1.4, 38,000 miles, 4 door saloon, red/wine, air-con, alloys, cd etc etc €16k

So folks, which would you go for and why, all comments appreciated

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Both very good and reliable cars to be honest. It'd be difficult to give one reason over another from an engine or similar comparison.

The only thing I can suggest is that the Honda Civic 5-door hatch back is more spacious than the Corolla saloon. If you need space then it would be the Civic. Ideal if you're looking for somewhere to move people, like kids around.

OTOH the Corolla provides a more enclose and saloon experience if you get my drift.

Depending on your personal requirements you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

civic,civic,civic,civic

Jeremy Clarksen: 'If Honda made man, no one would ever die'

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Yeah, close call, have a Scenic for moving the kids around so space not a major point for me

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Civic hatchback over a Corolla Saloon purely for practicality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

At those prices tha Civic.

If they were the same milage, age and the Corolla was a hatchback I would go for the Corolla, styling on the saloon is fairly bland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Civic for sure. Lower price, lower miles and practicality wise I prefer hatchbacks to saloons, especially for short-trip, parking-in-town style of driving :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

From an aesthetic point of view id go with the civic.

Have you considered a D4-D? 1.4L diesel engine with plenty of poke. The ma picked one up the other month after getting rid of her bucket focus and its a fine car, super economy, cheap to tax, solid handling too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

cpoh1 wrote:
    Have you considered a D4-D? 1.4L diesel engine with plenty of poke. The ma picked one up the other month after getting rid of her bucket focus and its a fine car, super economy, cheap to tax, solid handling too.

That would be the Corolla then. The Civic diesel is a 1.7

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

cpoh1 wrote:
    From an aesthetic point of view id go with the civic.

Right Ted :D

Right Ted :D

Should have rephrased that "solid handling for a 4 door family saloon", better than the focus and close to the mondeo we had before that.

Not a patch on the gtr though :D;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

cpoh1 wrote:
    Should have rephrased that "solid handling for a 4 door family saloon", better than the focus and close to the mondeo we had before that.

Not a patch on the gtr though :D;)

You must have bought a bad Focus.

They are widely acknowledged as the best handling cars in their class.

You must have bought a bad Focus.

They are widely acknowledged as the best handling cars in their class.

It was my mothers and was in grand nick, the focus understeers more than any other fwd car ive ever been in and the thing was falling to pieces too, the interior trim was all over the place.

Have to agree to disagree on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Civic 1.4 a bit underpowered 12bhp or so less than the Toyota. That said, 5 door Civic is well thought out, nicer driving position and better looking than Corolla saloon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Corolla sal...

zzzz...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Yep Corolla saloon is as bland as woodchip wallpaper
    If it were me I'd nick a few grand more somewhere and get the new Civic though the styling is great

Advertisement