Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spit Roasting (the food kind ;p)

• 22-03-2007 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows how to go about spit roasting an animal such as a pig, lamb or venison.

I want to set upa roasting pit for my girlfriends birthday in the summer. There should be a big crowd over for it and i was thinknig of doing something different for it, kinda like a centrepiece job.

Anyway, anyone ever had experience in doing this? I've googled the idea and found a few companies that do the whole package but i'd like to do it myself from scratch. Where would i get the meat, would they prepare it for me, where would i get the necessry materials to make the apparatus etc...?

I got the idea for it when was in South Africa a few years back playing rugby and on the sideline all through the game they had a lamb splayed and spit roasting over a half oil drum, I wasn't able to stop looking over from where the smell was coming from all through the game :p

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

It is really a lot of work to make a proper spit roast you need a mechanical turner or else be prepared to spend a long time sitting beside the fire.
    I have seen a small pig done over a 200 litre barrel cut in half and filled with peat briquettes.
    anyway enough waffling by me, use this page
    http://www.3men.com/spitroasting.htm

Advertisement