Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piano/keyboard lessons

Options
  • 22-03-2007 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have recently bought a new keyboard and would like to play it (obviously). Do I need to be able to read music before I learn. What is the difference in learning the keyboard and piano? I think I may need to take music lessons then take piano/keyboard lessons after it. Is this correct?

Yours,
    Jeff

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭hallelujah

I am thinking of doing Waltons keyboard lessons for 10 weeks. Has anyone done this course?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

There is a series of books called "The Complete Keyboard Player" (could be Piano Player - can't really remember). But it takes you through the basics. If you attempt this you may find that you don't need lessons. The problem is that you may get inadvertently get into bad habits that could prove difficult to shake later on. If you only want to learn for you own personal satisfaction then go about it whatever way you are most comfortable with.

There is no major difference between piano and keyboard. The main differences are that on most keyboards the keys are not weighted and some keyboards don't offer touch sensitivity which makes it impossible to play with expression. Another difference is that keyboards can have additional features such as pitch benders, modulator controls and aftertouch which can add more dynamics. If you plan to use a keyboard as replacement for a piano then you will absolutely need a sustain pedal of some sort.

I hope thats of some help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

crosstownk wrote:
    There is no major difference between piano and keyboard........................................................................................I hope thats of some help.

There are huge differences:

1. Learning the keyboard involves chordal accomp in the left hand. Piano players tend to play more polyphonic parts

2. Keyboards are different to Digital Pianos and again in turn to real pianos.

3. I did up to Grade 8 on Keyboard but would not consider myself a pianist

4. Similarly a pianist would not be a keyboard player

5. Piano is mainly Classical or Jazz. Keyboards are mainly pop/backing for bands.

S

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

slumped wrote:
    There are huge differences:

1. Learning the keyboard involves chordal accomp in the left hand. Piano players tend to play more polyphonic parts

2. Keyboards are different to Digital Pianos and again in turn to real pianos.

3. I did up to Grade 8 on Keyboard but would not consider myself a pianist

4. Similarly a pianist would not be a keyboard player

5. Piano is mainly Classical or Jazz. Keyboards are mainly pop/backing for bands.

S

I take your points, but a good weighted keyboard can be played as a piano. Yes there are differences if you take it to grade 8 - especially form the point of view of tonal and expressive quality.

Not all keyboards have the accompaniement feature. Pianos feature in many rock bands, but keyboards tend to be more prevalent mainly because of versatility - not to mention the hassle involved in moving and tuning a fourteen foot long Stienway!

Ultimately it depends on what you intend to use the keyboard or piano for but I think from the OPs original post, the intention is to learn as a beginner so from that point of view I don't think there is any major difference. Once a beginner has grasped the basics is able to play a few tunes then he/she would be in a better position to decide which instrument would be most suitable.

I play both piano and keyboard but I find playing with unweighted keys on a keyboard very unpleasant and always use a weighted keyboard, but while it comes close to a real piano in playability, it doesn't quite match it.

Advertisement