Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Working for a trader

• 22-03-2007 3:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭

I posted a thread in Work and Jobs, but I thought that I might get a better response here. I've got an interview for a summer internship with SIG (they're a trading firm) next week. Its a half hour phone interview going through my CV and my educational achievements with a probability test. The interview is for an assistant trader. Can anyone give me any tips or advice?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Assistant traders book trades, deal with client queries, check failed / screwed up trades and lots of other random tid bits.

As far as interview goes no idea, depends on the product. If its something simple the interview will be simple. If its a complex product you'll probably want more technical knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

probability questions ad nauseam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Had an interview with them back in December for their graduate programme, screwed up the probability even though it was fairly simple, mind just went blank.

A typical question would be, there are two submarines, A and B, and you are on a ship. Both Subs' missiles have a probaility of one-third of hitting your ship, what is the probability of at least one of them hitting your ship?

It's so much easier when it's written down *sigh*

My advice would be. Be as clear as possible and don't rush your answers to questions, write them down and work through them, but don't take too long either!

They will ask you if you have much interest in financial markets, especially in a particular market type (equity, bond, currency etc.) i.e. a focused interest not just a general one. So reading up on current trends in a specific market etc. will definitely help.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

fobster wrote:
    Had an interview with them back in December for their graduate programme, screwed up the probability even though it was fairly simple, mind just went blank.

A typical question would be, there are two submarines, A and B, and you are on a ship. Both Subs' missiles have a probaility of one-third of hitting your ship, what is the probability of at least one of them hitting your ship?

It's so much easier when it's written down *sigh*

My advice would be. Be as clear as possible and don't rush your answers to questions, write them down and work through them, but don't take too long either!

They will ask you if you have much interest in financial markets, especially in a particular market type (equity, bond, currency etc.) i.e. a focused interest not just a general one. So reading up on current trends in a specific market etc. will definitely help.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the replys

I should be ok with the probability,if its at that level. I'd say that justifying what financial market I am most interested in will be harder!!

Fobster, did they ask you any tough non mathematical / probability questions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

fobster wrote:

Fk the ship, I'd be in the life raft!

A mate of mine is doing lots of interviews at the moment. It realy has opened his eyes to how badly prepared Irish people, in general, are for these type of interviews. He puts it down to extrememly poor guidance in college.

If it's your first interview of this type, don't expect to make it on your first go. You'd have to be some hotshot!

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

SGKM wrote:
    Thanks for the replys

I should be ok with the probability,if its at that level. I'd say that justifying what financial market I am most interested in will be harder!!

Fobster, did they ask you any tough non mathematical / probability questions?

They'll ask you to describe yourself, are you a determined person etc. and can you give examples in your life where you really showed determination to get things done.

Apart from the probability at the end of the interview, it's pretty standard. The usual questions where you heard of the company, where do you see yourself in 5-10 years etc.

All the best for the interview.

Advertisement