Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for a Firefox 2 compatible replacement for Reveal

• 22-03-2007 3:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Reveal was a terrific extension for Firefox 1.5 that allowed you to view all open tabs in a tiled preview like Expose for Macs. It had a few other features as well. One that I particularly liked was a zoom box that activated by triple clicking the mouse. Simply triple click and you get a small zoom box that you can move around the web page like a magnifying glass. The mouse wheel controlled the level of zoom.

Sadly Reveal has not been updated to work with Firefox 2 and I miss it. In fact on one of my computers I am putting off the upgrade to FF 2 until I can find a replacement for Reveal.

I have seen some extensions that allow the Expose like preview but I haven't seen anything else offering the magnifying glass. Has anyone seen an extension that does this? Alternatively can anyone recommend one of the other Expose extensions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

You can make Reveal work by over-riding or updating the max version version ID.

This can be done manually by unpacking the XPI and modifying the text string to allow installs on FX 2.0 or automated by using Mr Tech's local install which has a built in over-ride feature.

So download Reveal 1.0.6
    Install Mr Tech's local install - restart FX
    Open add-on Windows in Firefox 2 and drag and drop in and user the over-ride max compatibility option.

Not all features may work though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Thank you 8T8 that is a useful tip. I managed to get reveal to install using the "make compatible" option. Sadly the expose features dont seem to work - perhaps FF 2.x uses a different tab handling engine to FF 1.x. The good news is that my beloved magnifying glass works and for that alone the extension is worth having. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

There was a whole bunch of those expose style extensions created a while back it is probably worth searching Mozilla Add-On's or asking on the Mozilla Zein forums if there is something else that has replaced Reveal.

I dont make use of that type of feature in firefox so I do not know what is the most popular one.

The build in magnifier is such a cool thing though . If you haven't tried it you should. I just wish it was a standard feature of windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Mad Mike wrote:
    The build in magnifier is such a cool thing though . If you haven't tried it you should. I just wish it was a standard feature of windows.

Windows has a magnifier as standard. Had it back in Win98SE as far as I recall too.

Start > Programs > Accessories > Accessibility > Magnifier

• Advertisement

Soundman wrote:
    Windows has a magnifier as standard. Had it back in Win98SE as far as I recall too.

Start > Programs > Accessories > Accessibility > Magnifier

Well I never knew that. Mind you I have just tried it out and it is not very nice to use. It sticks an annoying Magnify bar across the top of your screen permanently which shows a magnified view of the area around the cursor. There doesn't seem to be a way to increase the zoom level. The triple click magnifier with variable zoom is a much handier device for zooming in on details when you want. As said before if you have't tried it please do. You will love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Mad Mike wrote:
    Well I never knew that. Mind you I have just tried it out and it is not very nice to use. It sticks an annoying Magnify bar across the top of your screen permanently which shows a magnified view of the area around the cursor. There doesn't seem to be a way to increase the zoom level. The triple click magnifier with variable zoom is a much handier device for zooming in on details when you want. As said before if you have't tried it please do. You will love it.

Go into the settings of it and you can re-adjust the magnification. You can also move the magnifier wherever you want on the screen and re-adjust the size of the window. Just left click and hold to move the window around. Right click to open the settings.

Advertisement