Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

building a computer, is there any way to benchmark?

Options
  • 22-03-2007 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

I'm just wondering if its possible to benchmark a PC without having built the actual machine. It's part of a project I have to do, as far as I know, benchmarking would vary depending on how the hardware in the computer interacts, but maybe there's a tool that calculates how well they all interact.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I've only seen benchmarks comparing two of one component type, e.g. two CPUs. Considering the vast choice of components available and the complexity of their interactions, I would be surprised and impressed if someone managed to benchmark an entire PC. I stand to be corrected though. If you do come across anything, please post a link. Good luck with the hunt

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Now that would be useful, if I get you right.

You are looking for a piece of software where you don't actually have any of the components and you just fill in your wanted spec and it will calculate how well each of the components will work together. In theory, this would be an amazing piece of software.

If a program, say like a cross between CPUz and folding recorded your systems, and other peoples systems across the globe, stability at different times, voltages, clocks, temps you could collate a fairly accurate benchmarking average guide given these values. But you'd really need A LOT of people to use this program for it to be accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

This would be a genius piece of software. You could build your pc for exactly what you need if for. Type in the benchmark you need and it will give you the highest result. Click on it and it gives you the exact hardware most suited to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Glazun

I wonder how im meant to do this for my assignment then.. I guess just find benchmarks of various pieces and somehow calculate an over all performance, since i cant copy other systems..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

It seems like a tough assignment. Something may exist that would do what your are asking - try some dedicated tech forums for more advice.

The problem I see with you compiling results from existing benchmarks is that they will be benchmarking components with various non-standard components as a base. So, for example, one benchmark would be testing FPS on a particular graphics card, which is fine, however, a problem arises when you consider that they would use motherboard X, RAM Y or PSU Z, whereas a benchmark for a CPU won't necessarily use motherboard X, RAM Y or PSU Z. In your assignment you can highlight this problem and also discuss the usefulness but extraordinary difficulty of creating a tool that could look at all the interactions .

Talk to your lecturer and get some clarification of your assignment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Talk to your lecturer and get some clarification of your assignment.
    ++

Your project is something commercial companies would have trouble tackling given the permutations, let alone just one person.

That's why most benchmarks focus around a particular task and measure how well the system executes it.

These are some sites I like to read and they do a lot of benchmarking on various components.
    Tech Report
    Be Hardware
    Digit Life
    X-Bit Labs

SiSoft Sandra is one of the few benchmark tools to include stock scores in it's tests for the CPU & RAM for certain hardware but it is only to give you an idea for comparison & it's tests are synthetic only not indicative of real work application performance at all.

Advertisement