Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clicking noise - Frame and front forks joint

Options
  • 22-03-2007 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

I only noticed it recently. You can't hear it when cycling but if I turn it when stationery its awful. The bike (Giant racer) is just a couple of months old (only about 1100km up. Its only been used on a TT for max 4-5hrs spread out over a few sessions.

What do you think might be wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Is it a clicking sound when you turn the handlebars?

Does the steering feel "rough" when turning the bars?

Sounds like the headset might be worn.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Does the headset have spacers on it? it should not be tightened a huge amount but I was told the spacers should not be able to spin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

Morgan wrote:
    Is it a clicking sound when you turn the handlebars?

Does the steering feel "rough" when turning the bars?

Sounds like the headset might be worn.

Hmmm, yes I would tick yes to both your questions.

I only got the bike last October new. What could have caused this?
    How long is the standard warranty on Giants?

Also, there doesn't appear to be any spacers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

junii wrote:
    I only noticed it recently. You can't hear it when cycling but if I turn it when stationery its awful. The bike (Giant racer) is just a couple of months old (only about 1100km up. Its only been used on a TT for max 4-5hrs spread out over a few sessions.

What do you think might be wrong?

For that age of a bike its definitally not wear, If you can borrow / buy an allen less than e5, I think 6mm or 8mm and tighten the allen bolds holding the handlebars to the stem and from the stem to the frame, sometimes they can creek if loose. The sound is transmitted into the frame and might sound if it comes from the forks.

If that dosnt work apply the front brakes hard and rock the bike back and foreward on the front wheel, if you feel play you will know if the headset is loose, you need to ajust it. Its a large spanner you get in a bike shop, some cowboys get away with using ajustibles and vice grips.

Advertisement