Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premier League 2007 - Week 8

• 22-03-2007 4:27pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Here are tonights Premier League fixtures:

Week Eight - 22 March SECC, Glasgow
    Terry Jenkins v Dennis Priestley
    Adrian Lewis v Raymond van Barneveld
    Colin Lloyd v Peter Manley
    Roland Scholten v Phil Taylor

Live on Sky Sports, 7.30pm

The stats from the Premier League so far can be found at the following link:
    http://www.planetdarts.tv/page/PremierLeagueDetail/0,,10180~1000417,00.html

I think Jenkins against Priestley will be a very close match as both are on top form so I will be staying clea of that one. Jenkins has been on top form but I cant bring myself to bet against Priestley.

Barney had a very poor week last week as he really struggled to deal with the pace of Priestley. Lewis has been in terrible form lately though and seems as if he has lost his bottle. Barney will have too much and will bounce back from last week.

There is no denying that Colin lloyd has been in terrible form. Manley has been very hit and miss and only his finishing has rescued him so far. lloyd has to win this match to stay in the tournament and I think he will have too much in the scoring department. It will be close but Lloyd to edge it.

Taylor is on top form and looks like his old self. These two drew when they met earlier in the League but Taylor was going through a bad patch and Scholten has struggled a bit since then. Cant see past a Taylor win.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭rag2gar

I know you arent a fan of lewis' temperment kingp (nor am i for that matter), but really think he can bounce back tonight. He has been practising very hard of late and is hungrier than ever to get back to form. If you wind back to his last game against Barney he played excellently in defeat 8-5 against the then red hot newly crowned champ. Barney is not playing anywhere near as well at the mo and could be at a vulnerable stage this evening.

I think Barneys fast game can compliment lewis' and I feel we'll see Lewis' best performance in the premier league tonight. I know this may be considered very optomistic but at 6/1 to win with some firms I think ady might surprise some people. Im going to punt him anyway, would like to hear what others think

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

well 6/1 are very good odds on lewis to win. I didnt think they would be quite as long as that considering Barney was very poor last week. You say Barney is on bad form but last week was the only week that he didnt put in a good performance whereas Lewis has been very poor for the last few weeks.

Thing about Lewis is that he can put in 4 or 5 brilliant legs of darts but he always goes of the boil at some stage in the game. If a player goes ahead against Lewis he just loses it completely and starts throwing away darts. I would like to see him win because I think Barney and Taylor get too much media coverage compared to the others and so I always like to see the big guns lose but on current form its unlikely Lewis will do it.

Lets hope he can at least put up a decent showing.

Wow, what was he doing!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

what happened?

Lewis tryed to hit double top, double top. Only after he got the 1st one he threw the 2nd one blind!! Only problem being he missed the board and lost the 1st leg when he could have been off to a flyer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I have lost all respect for Lewis after that. I thought he was arrogant before tonight but is just ridiculous. I was delighted the crowed booed him because its an utter lack of respect for other players.

Ronan he was throwing for his doubles blind and he was missing them. The first leg of the match he threw for tops while looking away and missed. He then tries to do a blind 180 and misses and then goes for doubles again! Pure arrogance.

Its an unfortunate state of affairs as he looked really hot in the circus in his first world champs and was unlucky to go out to jenks, even his first game against barney in the opening premier league game he looked well in the first 8 legs giving barney a propare fight. Ever since he broke ties with taylor though hes lost the plot it seems

There is no doubting that the man has a lot of talent and can quite easily beat anyone, he just doesnt have it upstairs. Maybe that will come with experience but he seems to be getting worse.

Fair to play to Barney for having a chat with him at the break because came out much better after it. Maybe the crowd were getting to him but trying what he did was only going to make it worse.

Yeah I think he is going to come out of that game pretty bad. He looks like a right w.anker after that performance but in truth hes a nice guy, he means well and is just getting caught up in all this blind 180 hype. I mean the crowd clearly got to him and he reacted dreadfully by playing like a knob.

He should go back to practising with taylor, not just to improve his game but learn how to be more professional in these big tv games. Like taylor had a pint of beer thrown over him and he still got on with it and even thanked the crowd after!!

Would love to see lewis mature/progress to his true potential thats all

rag2gar wrote:
    Would love to see lewis mature/progress to his true potential thats all

So would I. Having great players can only be good for the sport. Lets hope he can get some guidance from somewhere in how to react to certain situations. As I said once he gets his head straight he will be a really top player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Premier League Darts Results
    Night Eight - SECC, Glasgow

Terry Jenkins 7-7 Dennis Priestley
    Adrian Lewis 3-8 Raymond van Barneveld
    Colin Lloyd 8-2 Peter Manley
    Roland Scholten 7-7 Phil Taylor

Reports Here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

what a muppet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Yeah Lewis had bundles of talent but he's mentally immature so he's exploitable and lets himself get mentally destroyed to easily. He will look good if you let him but once constant quality is served up against him he too often gets in a strop.

IMO the talent he promises will never fully develop on the big stage, he will be a good watermark and a streaky player who runs hot and cold same as most of the current players.

He knows what he can do but his throwing blind was a cry of "Look at me im great too its not just Van Barneveld thats great, Look what i can do".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Scholten should have beaten Taylor, he scored well and his doubles were good but he was missing the easy singles to give himself a shot at a double.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Why is everyone havin a go at Lewis. The second dart hit the first that's why it didn't go in. Widdell was talkin like a twat last night as usual overreacting. You could clearly see the crowd gettin to him and sometimes it can be impossible to block out. Preistly for president.

Kazooie wrote:
    Why is everyone havin a go at Lewis. The second dart hit the first that's why it didn't go in. Widdell was talkin like a twat last night as usual overreacting. You could clearly see the crowd gettin to him and sometimes it can be impossible to block out. Preistly for president.

It doesnt matter if the dart went in or not, he shouldnt be trying those things in the first leg of a huge match for him. What made it worse was that he went and tried to do it again. Sid was right, it was arrogance from the man. I agree with Rounders123 that it was almost of cry for attention from Lewis to say that "look what I can do" because the crowd were on his back.

He should be able to block out the crowd. There were one or two boos as he was walking on but when he tried to hit the doubles blind, thats when the crowd really got on his back. he should keep the head down and play his game.

Advertisement