Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gmail App on Meteor, Expensive?

• 22-03-2007 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Was never able to get the gmail app to work, but after some messing today on the bus it just seemed to work. But when i checked my balance i couldn't beleive it. Is the Gmail app really that sloppy with packet size? It cost 66c just to check my email and open 1 mail. Using Opera mini, it only costs about 25c to check, read and replay to an email. What gives? Are Meteor just a MASSIVE rip off when it come to GPRS (2c per kB) ? Is Opera really clever at compressing before sending and receiving? Or maybe the Gmail app is, dare i say it, ****?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I posted on a thread a week or two ago about trying out Meteor. I have an EDGE compatible phone, Meteor is the only network in Ireland that offers EDGE.

So I go a €10 Meteor sim, poped it into my phone and viewed the mobile version of Boards.ie.

I got no more than 10 minutes browsing before my credit ran out.

Utter rip off. Suffice to say I won't be changing to Meteor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

No point using this mobile GPRS unless u are earning money from it

I used it and decidede to disable it when i saw that 3 euros were deducted just to check dart time table !:eek: and the dart ticket was cheaper ! then checking timetable

the prices are crazyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

way way way way over priced.

Wouldnt it be better if they serve more people and make same money.

crazy feckers ! they can lower the tarif and serve more people and still make decent profit !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

do people not realise GPRS and mobile surfing is not pocket friendly.......been mentioned here several times.

if you need to surf the web on a phone just get a 3 data card......use the sim on a 3g enabled phone to 'surf' and not be charged 10e for 5 mins web browsing.

some people insist on lining meteors and other telco's pockets it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭niallb

tom dunne wrote:
    I posted on a thread a week or two ago about trying out Meteor. I have an EDGE compatible phone, Meteor is the only network in Ireland that offers EDGE.

So I go a €10 Meteor sim, poped it into my phone and viewed the mobile version of Boards.ie.

I got no more than 10 minutes browsing before my credit ran out.

Utter rip off. Suffice to say I won't be changing to Meteor.

To be fair, you wouldn't do much better on any of the networks with a pay as you go account.

€10 with Vodafone Ready to Go would allow you download just under 512K! (It's 2¢ per kilobyte.)
    The 5GB offered at €49 on Vodafone bill pay would cost you... over €10,000 with Ready to Go.
    It's not a comparison of like with like!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

How about 3pay? The exact same rates as billpay and they are trés good rates.

• Advertisement

How can that be?
    There are two billpay data tariffs (unlimited style), and I doubt
    very much if the prepay is following either of those directly.
    Could you link to the pricing structure if you can find it again?

To draw the same distinction with Vodafone, they keep it to 2¢ per kilobyte on Ready to go all the way,
    but drop it to 0.5¢ /kb after the first 512k for billpay users without a dataplan.
    My €10,000 figure above becomes €2,600 for a billpay user without a tariff.
    I may be out by a factor 10 with these figures! Too groggy to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Maybe I'm talking about the wrong things but there are three mobile broadband add-ons; Mobile Broadband 100 (100MB) for €5.99, 250 (250MB) for €9.99 and Unlimited(?MB) for €19.99 a month and these also apply to ready to go (3pay) customers.

http://three.ie/priceplans/addons.htm

I know you would assume these were just for billpay but I am 3pay and have the €5.99 add on. However there are a few restrictions that need to be ironed out.

That is very very cool.

Now just to iron out the little restriction that you have to buy a phone to
    try out any of these services.
    If I had a Three SIM, I could test for coverage in areas around here,
    and could be recommending data packages for them.
    Until I get one, I'll only do it for Vodafone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Yeah, they don't do sim only unfortunately and i threw away my prepay sim!

You can get a three phone for about 60 quid from xtravision or splash out for the fairly decent k610 for only 100 which is fairly good value. There must be a fair subsidy for that so they don't unlock it till you've spent over a set amount, just like the other networks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

I used it and decidede to disable it when i saw that 3 euros were deducted just to check dart time table !:eek: and the dart ticket was cheaper ! then checking timetable

A lot of the cost of looking at the website comes from images and texts that you don't really care about.

I am toying with the idea of creating a Java application for phones which you could use to look up dart times. It would cost (on O2 anyway) much less than a cent and maximum of 2c on other networks.

Would there be much interest in this?

• Advertisement
Advertisement