Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordable Housing With SDCC

Options
  • 22-03-2007 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

I have just send in my application with ALL documents they have asked for. Can someone tell me what the rough waiting time is to even get a response to say 'yeah your on the list' ??

Also does anyone know how many people are on SDCC's list ?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Elphaba

You'll be called in for an interview before you're approved. You're not on 'the list' until you get your approval in the post. I think I applied last May. It was August when I got the interview. Got approved a couple of weeks later and they said I could be waiting 10-12 months from then, could be sooner or later. From hearing other people's stories I'm sure itll be longer than that tho

Oh and I was number 500 and something then

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Jaybee

Thanks...

What was said in the interview if you dont mind me asking?

I heard that even though there are hundreds on the list with SDCC, and thousands with DCC, only about 70% can actually 'get' mortgages, as some- if not alot have bad credit or undisclosed loans which deter them from getting the full loan amount. Kind of reassuring to hear not EVERYONE on the list gets a house/apt, so i presume its passed onto the next available person on the list!

At the interview they go through all your financial details, any previous loans/mortgages etc. Your monthly income and outgoings. They base the loan amount on this. They also make sure that when you do get your place, that you'll have enough money to furnish it, pay the mortgage each month and cover your living expenses. If someone had very bad credit I doubt they'd get approved and put on the list in the first place but then I could be wrong

People also turn down properties for various reasons (location/schools etc) and they go to the bottom of the list then and the property would get offered to the next person so fingers crossed people are turning down properties left right and centre!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

doubt they go to the bottom of the list. That's not the case with Fingal anyway. Once you start getting offers they keep on coming, you can turn down as many as you like.

At the interview they told me if you refuse somewhere you go to the bottom of the list. If you refuse the next one you're offered you're taken off the list and have to apply again if you still want to be considered.

Bit harsh on that side of the city!

I didn't know it was different anywhere else. I suppose it stops people from being too picky. That only people with a genuine reason will turn a property down

I think people have every right to be picky, this is buying a home we're talking about. Affordable or not you shouldn't be penalised because you don't like the area, or even the layout of a house. With Fingal it seems everybody eventually gets a place they want, whereas with the SDCC system it would seem to me that you would have a lot of begrudging home-owners. Maybe it's not like that but if your going to accept somewhere out of fear of being shoved to the end of the queue if you dont', just doesn't seem right.

• Advertisement

Of course people have a right to be picky, but when I get offered somewhere it'd take a lot for me to turn it down. Maybe it's not right to accept somewhere for fear of being put to the bottom of the list but the way SDCC is you could be waiting another year to get offered an alternative

i know, that's why Im saying it's wrong. With Fingal, you turn it down, it gets offered to the next in line, somebody is going to take it eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

With SDCC you can turn a property down twice and on the third refusal you need to re-apply. I'm in the process of purchasing an Affordable Home via SDCC. I was waiting 11 months, applied in Feb. '06. Heard the waiting list now is much longer. The interview is very informal. As a previous poster said they go through your current employment details and any loans you may have etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭tungsten

once you qualify for the scheme..how long are you elegible to stay on that list for?is it indefinate?

thanks for any info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

tungsten wrote:
    once you qualify for the scheme..how long are you elegible to stay on that list for?is it indefinate?

thanks for any info

Until you're offered somewhere or turn down 3 offers you stay on the list

Advertisement