Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charging for lost voucher

Options
  • 22-03-2007 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I bought my partner a voucher for topgifts last year for his birthday & it got packed away somewhere while we were moving house & is now nowhere to be found. They took all of his details when i ordered it - name, address etc and voucher had his name printed on it when it arrived.
    I rang them to see if they could honour it as they had all of his details anyway, so no one else could use it & they said they'd have to issue a new one at a cost of €25. It's like that bank charges thing at the moment that the Uk are talking about - €25 for a piece of paper.. Presuming we don't have any option other than pay it or forfeit the voucher, but just wondering what people think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I think it's fair enough to charge you. They could just as easily have said you lost it so it's your problem. For example the €700 a year bus tickets can't be replaced if lost. I think €25 is reasonable since it was your fault for losing it and it'll mean extra work for them to re issue the voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I just think it's a bit excessive considering they have all his details on file & the voucher had his name printed on it, so no one else could use it.
    €5 or €10 would be a fair price I think, but €25 is almost 15% of the voucher value.

Would put me off buying vouchers off them in the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Oral Slang wrote:
    ...the voucher had his name printed on it, so no one else could use it....

I've received loadsof gift vouchers over the years and like most people I've given away the ones I have no use for, like a beauty salon or a hotel in donegal to friends, the name section has always been for decoration only, its not like a bank draft/cheque where if it says "john smith" then only john smith can use it

also I think that the company is right to charge for a replacement voucher, considering from thier perspective someone could still turn up with the old one and through making a scene force them to honour it, and it will cost money to make a new one, but just like "duplicate bank statements" the fee charged should be nominal and not a rip-off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

vector wrote:
    and it will cost money to make a new one, but just like "duplicate bank statements" the fee charged should be nominal and not a rip-off

Yeah, that's it.. I've no problem with them charging maybe 5% of the total, or something like that but €25 (15%) just seems really excessive!

Advertisement