Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few Queries?

Options
  • 22-03-2007 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hello. I'm Finishing up a Masters in Zoology at the moment. I'm considering my next step; I would ideally like to work as a full-time biology teacher in Ireland. What is the demand for biology teachers at the moment? I'd plan to do a PGCE in the U.K. and stay there for a few years, my understanding is that job prospects are better there? Are you at any disadavatage getting your teacher qualification in the U.K.? Any advise or suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 canislupus

bump

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

These issues have been covered in numerous other threads.
    You are most unlikely to get a job that is just teaching Biology, unless it is in an enormous school. You will more likely be taking lots of JC Science, some Maths and at most a couple of class groups each year for Biology.

No idea what the job prospects are in the UK. Here, most people do a number of years part-time or contract work before finally getting a chance at a full-time 'permanent' position. There are lots of Science graduates about, so there would be a lot of competition for any post.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

In the UK, demand varies alot.

In Wales and Scotland for example there are plenty of teachers at the moment, but an expected increase in demand in the future.

In the South, especially the South East, there is a high demand for teachers of all subjects. This is mainly because of the high cost of buying a house and the high pressure from well off parents for results. If you don't mind renting, that may be a good option.

I teach English and am determined to return to Ireland however my head keeps getting turned by potentially very good job offers and incentives here.

Conditions aren't as good though. Behaviour and paperwork being a big issue. There is also discussion in England, about performance rating teachers by exam results. I'd recommend Scotland or Wales to avoid stuff like that. Although still high in paperwork, conditions are a little brighter.

Advertisement