Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Had a crap day at work??

Options
  • 22-03-2007 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Thought it might be a good idea to have someplace to share some your stories about your teaching day?......
    i'll get it started with being told to F**K OFF.Havin 2 of my pens smashed by someone and getin my roll book covered in chalk by i kid who banged my duster off it!!....any takers??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

I sent a pupil into the corridor to cool off (the practice in my school) as she was getting rather aggressive and she'd been talking all through class.
    She stood at the door and screamed "You're a liar! You're lying about me. I'm gonna have you fired!" for about 5 minutes.
    I despatched her to the head's office.

Great fun.

The other day I was walking through the corridor when I got caught in a punch from one pupil to another. Just in the shoulder but it was really hard!
    Immediately ordered the pupil over to the head and he was suspended for 2 days.

Don't you just love working with children? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭hot chick

does anyone mind me asking if we're talking about VEC schools here?

I intend teaching Secondary next year but my friend who teaches in a VEC is putting me off by telling me that stories such as the one above are everyday occurences in her VEC school.

I know that such things happen no matter where you teach, but if possible I'd like somewhere where they're the exception rather than the norm.

Am I asking too much? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I can categorically say it is not 'just' VEC schools, if indeed the incident described was in a VEC school. I teach in an inner-city VEC school in Dublin and we run a very tight ship indeed.

We would call the guards (and have done many times) for an assault (verbal or physical) on a teacher and we never put children outside the door of a classroom. Under our insurance policies, a teacher is not covered if they have put a child outside the classroom and that child has an accident or hurts someone else.

We have high standards and the majority of our kids rise to meet them. Ten yrs ago, the local CBS school was getting 100+ first years a year and sending us the ones they didn't want. Now, we are getting 120+ a year and sending our religious friends back the ones they try to send us. We have a reputation of being a strict school, unlike some of our local competitors. The kids of course think that going around saying 'That school is a kip, it's too strict' is a bad thing. Heh heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

spurious wrote:
    we never put children outside the door of a classroom. Under our insurance policies, a teacher is not covered if they have put a child outside the classroom and that child has an accident or hurts someone else.
    Ya, the same here. That's pretty much the norm as far as I'm aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Back on topic please everyone... Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

I never said anything about VEC schools. I teach in a comp in the UK!

The thread is about general bad days in teaching I don't know why it should turn into an arguement about VECs or judgements on following school policy.

I don't agree with putting pupils outside the room as it ccauses more trouble than it solves. However it is school policy where I am, and it is part of my job to conform to school policy and provide consistency for pupils. If it wasn't expected, I wouldn't do it.

They know they are only out there for 5 mins to cool off. I check on them and they are still aggro, they get sent to a cooling off zone. But it's important to give them a chance to redeem themselves first.

Re: the assault, it was an accident, but it was dealt with very seriously. We have a local police officer who liaises with the school and he came in and wrote up a report on the incident, while allowing the school to decide about charges/punishment. As it was an accident at the time, we decided to go down the suspension route.

Schools in the UK are like this more and more, hence, my other thread about a wish to return home.
    However, to be honest, other teachers ruin my day more often than the pupils do!
    We should be more supportive of each other, more collaborative.

Advertisement