Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog kennel advice

Options
  • 22-03-2007 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

I need to get kennel for dog - has anyone any ideas on where to get a decent one that doesnt cost the earth? Most of the ones Ive seen cost nearly 200 quid, maybe this is normal it just sounds a bit steep. Dog is a boxer pup, going to be a big lad by the looks of him - I was told by a friend that you should get the smallest size you can so that the dog fits and can turn around but keeping it small means its not draughty and cosier for dog, is this true or will i just end up with a peed off mutt who wont use his new expensive pad!!? any advice/ideas appreciated thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

Jotter wrote:
    I need to get kennel for dog - has anyone any ideas on where to get a decent one that doesnt cost the earth? Most of the ones Ive seen cost nearly 200 quid, maybe this is normal it just sounds a bit steep. Dog is a boxer pup, going to be a big lad by the looks of him - I was told by a friend that you should get the smallest size you can so that the dog fits and can turn around but keeping it small means its not draughty and cosier for dog, is this true or will i just end up with a peed off mutt who wont use his new expensive pad!!? any advice/ideas appreciated thanks!

Jotter

I have two boxers (one 18 months and one 6 months) The box for both is the same size (ie fits the larger of the two), granted the smaller one rattles around in it but boxers grow VERY fast! I paid €170 for the boxes pricy but they last forever. (these are indoor boxes as boxers are indoor dogs)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

thanks boomer, thats roughly the price for the kennel I was looking at so at least im on right track! I need an outside kennel as dog will be outside during the day and inside at nite, dont worry I know they dont do well in very cold or hot weather but the weather is getting fairly mild so I want him outside for a bit during the day. We had a boxer for 10 yrs and this worked well for him, mind you he had the run of a garage and 2 sheds instead of kennel but this new guy pulls his bed out of shed and up to back door where he sleeps till you let him in so was going to get a kennel to put in his chosen spot!

Jotter wrote:
    thanks boomer, thats roughly the price for the kennel I was looking at so at least im on right track! I need an outside kennel as dog will be outside during the day and inside at nite, dont worry I know they dont do well in very cold or hot weather but the weather is getting fairly mild so I want him outside for a bit during the day. We had a boxer for 10yrs and this worked well for him and us!

You probably have the advantage then of not washing the floors every day LOL

that and not coming down to a whole toilet roll pulled to shreads all over the floor along with a delighted pup who barked his head off at the brush as I was trying to clean it up, a cat who got all excited by the commotion and decided to chase the toilet roll and a baby in his high chair doing his best to get in on the action, all this this morning before 9am !!!!! dog outside, cats outside, baby.....ok baby can stay inside but even hes getting a playpen so I can keep an eye on them all!!!

Jotter wrote:
    that and not coming down to a whole toilet roll pulled to shreads all over the floor along with a delighted pup who barked his head off at the brush as I was trying to clean it up, a cat who got all excited by the commotion and decided to chase the toilet roll and a baby in his high chair doing his best to get in on the action, all this this morning before 9am !!!!! dog outside, cats outside, baby.....ok baby can stay inside but even hes getting a playpen so I can keep an eye on them all!!!

Guess we should be taking this to PM but sounds like my little Ali she ADORES toilet roll, tyson has thankfully grown out of it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Country-Bumpkin

I recently bought a kennel from the buy and sell.....brand new and only cost me €80. Reckon it would have cost at least €150-200 from a pet shop.

Don't know why I bothered though...all 3 dogs get into the one kennel! Obviously more fun that way!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭denachoman

Jotter wrote:

I have a large outdoor kennel that i bought for €120 3 years ago. It has a permanent opening at the front and a removable roof. The felt on the roof might need replacing but apart from that it's in reasonably good nick. You're welcome to take it for free if it's any use to you. I live in Kilmessan Co. Meath (1 hr from city centre at any time other than rush hour) so you'd have to come and collect it.

I also have a guard rail for the boot of a car that fitted my Renault Megane but wouldn't suit all hatchbacks which you can have. (if there is any roof space between the back seats and where the boot of the hatchbook meets the roof it should be fine)

ah thanks a mill, the dog has actually taken a shine to the garden shed, theres hole cut in the front beside the door and he chased the cat in one day and decided it was comfy so have put kennel on hold for the moment - very kind offer though, thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Sounds like my dog!! Perfectly lovely kennel in the back garden, yet she insistes on tunnelling under the shed to sleep! Shes never gone back into the kennel since! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I know it's a bit late since the orgininal post but for others looking for kennels;
    www.pet-bliss.com - great site and free delivery if over 50quid. they've cool kennels. You can also buy items for dog homes and shelters, toys, blankets, leads. Best way to contribute to the cause!

• Advertisement
Advertisement