Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Special Needs Assisitance for my son

Options
  • 22-03-2007 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I have been told i'll be given a grant to get a special needs assistant for my son in montessori (and all day care) but the HSE won't employ them and have been pretty unhelpful in me trying to get one.
    I have no idea when to look and I've been told it's up to me to find one.
    Is there an association or employment agency that get you a special needs assistants.
    Has anybody got one before?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭lily lou

Hi I work in a special school as a special needs assistant (sna) I'm employed by the Department of Education, not sure if they'd be any use to you, but there are a lot of sna courses around so maybe if you approached some colleges or schools that run these courses they may have people looking for work. Alternatively you could put an ad in Fas or the paper. I know the Irish Wheelchair Association employ "personal assistants" for adults with disabilities, they may be able to give you advice. Hope some of this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Never had any dealings with montessori SNAs but try giving Special Ed section of the Dept of Education in Athlone.

Dont have the number handy but it should be here

www.education.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

nice one folks.
    been told that once i get the grant it's up to me to find the SNA - which is kind crappy.
    But I guess I'l continue the good fight it'll stand to me when I undertake my world domination plan:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Is it just because your child is in Montessori?
    My son has a part time SNA and I didn't have a say in it at all, which is great in one way but not so good in other ways.
    The SENO gave permission for his school to employ someone and that was that.
    Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

magnumlady wrote:
    Is it just because your child is in Montessori?
    My son has a part time SNA and I didn't have a say in it at all, which is great in one way but not so good in other ways.
    The SENO gave permission for his school to employ someone and that was that.
    Best of luck.

Unfortunately montessoris dont have SENOs but you will prob have to apply all over again to the primary school when he starts (is it this september??) as its a whole different ball game and these things can take time so i suggest you get the ball rolling on that one as soon as possible (if is it this september??)

You'll need a psychological report or if the problem is physical then a letter from the hospital/consultant should suffice. Perhaps the approval letter from the HSE will do as you have obviously already proven your case for your sons needs.

Best of luck with your search.

DId you try St Pats in Drumcondra? its Teacher training college.

Failing that you may have to place an ad in the classifieds. at least you have a say in who looks after your little boy, thats the best bit !!

• Advertisement
Advertisement