Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cinema cinema

Options
  • 22-03-2007 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I hope the topic belongs here, in a way, at least...
    I find it very irritating that while it is possible to come across movie ads and reviews about gay people--as long as they earned Hollywood enough money, that is--it is difficult to spot anything else besides the title and production date in case of films about transgender folk or third sex. Partly for obvious reasons and partly because of my MA I recently got interested in these, but to find them--impossibility. In fact, I even rarely come across a gay movie that would not be a tragic drama ending in both heroes dying or at least one of them leaving the country... Sniff. I'd be very grateful for some info, and personal opinions on titles especially :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Hmm, Have you seen Bad education and Boys don't cry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 kyenne

Bad Education--yup, Boys don't cry--never heard of it. Some additional info (maybe I know it under different title)--year, country?

Boys Don't Cry

Not a happy film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Priscilla queen of the desert
    Terrence Stamps protrayal of post gender reassigned Beredette is wonderful.
    But I'm a Cheerleader
    Queer as folk
    Next best thing.
    Jeffery.
    Bound.

Velvet Goldmine
    is one that I found very good for no reason that I can explain.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal: Riiiight, I've totally forgotten about Priscilla... :p
    But why Next best thing? I've seen it and it... hmm. Dunno. Let's say, it did not manage to make its way into the "LGBT movies" bag in my memory.
    Oh, by the way (I'm just curious, that's all), why did you recommend the UK QaF?

Boston: thx :)

Have you seen the film "Both", by the way? 2005, US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Beautiful Boxer, a Thai film, would be my personal recommendation.

It's based on a true story of a young man who competes in the brutal sport of Muay Thai (Or Thai Kickboxing) in order to fund a sex change operation and become a woman. Very ironic, but it made an excellent film, and follows the young boy from childhood through his career as a kickboxer up untill after the operation. Really good film indeed, and can be picked up on DVD easily. It's on the Tartan Video label, if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Stark wrote:

You know, that's a film I'd really like to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Beautiful Boxer, a Thai film, would be my personal recommendation.

It's based on a true story of a young man who competes in the brutal sport of Muay Thai (Or Thai Kickboxing) in order to fund a sex change operation and become a woman. Very ironic, but it made an excellent film, and follows the young boy from childhood through his career as a kickboxer up untill after the operation. Really good film indeed, and can be picked up on DVD easily. It's on the Tartan Video label, if that helps.
    I'll check for this in Shantalla or 2001. Sounds good.

• Advertisement

As for the Beautiful Boxer--oh, itis a great movie :) I have it and I love it :D

The Crying game got me interested. Where'd hear about it?

kyenne wrote:
    The Crying game got me interested. Where'd hear about it?

It's probably the most widely known film featuring a transgendered character. Won a shed load of awards. Well worth a watch.

kyenne wrote:
    Thaedydal: Riiiight, I've totally forgotten about Priscilla... :p

How could you forget !!!!!

kyenne wrote:
    But why Next best thing? I've seen it and it... hmm. Dunno. Let's say, it did not manage to make its way into the "LGBT movies" bag in my memory.

Because under the tweeness of the film and it being a triumph of Madges' lack of actiong skills it deals with the very reall situations of gay co parents who are not genetically related to thier children but have been a hand on parent for all of the childs life and what can happen when those couples break up or the biological parent dies.
    Brooks shields was in a made for movie ones as well but I can't recall the name of it.
    kyenne wrote:
    Oh, by the way (I'm just curious, that's all), why did you recommend the UK QaF?

Because it was ground breaking in it's say and while it does explore the stereotypes it show the charchters as being people.

kyenne wrote:
    As for the Beautiful Boxer--oh, itis a great movie :) I have it and I love it :D

Ah, and thus wears out my limited knowledge of films that would appeal to the LGBT community. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Torch Song Trilogy was made into a film. Now, am I totally mis-remembering (it's been a long time) or was one of the leads transgendered?

Boston: define "most widely". I'm from country where "tolerance" is still a very difficult word. :D But thx anyway :)

Thaedydal: I'm sorry for forgetting about Priscilla! :p
    Oh, and the emphasis (in the QaF question) was on the UK, but now I realised the question is utterly stupid :o . Anyway, I do agree that it IS ground breaking :)

Talliesin: no idea...

Do LGBT films need to be from within our cultural frame for us to enjoy them? Or can they tell us stories based totally different outlook and still be captivating?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

'By Hook or by Crook' is another.

I think most Irish people from my ages onwards would know about the cry game, and a lot of those would have seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Angels in America

Highly recommended viewing.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Transamerica
    It's recent and very good with the excelent Felicity Haufman aka Lynette from Desperate housewives.

(If you watch desperate housewives,it's hard not to imagine Lynette with a penis after watching this film :p)

• Advertisement

Tristrame wrote:
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Transamerica
    It's recent and very good with the excelent Felicity Haufman aka Lynette from Desperate housewives.

(If you watch desperate housewives,it's hard not to imagine Lynette with a penis after watching this film :p)

I haven't seen it yet it had such a limits release here and I have yet to aquire it on dvd.
    ah Lynette wears the trousers in that house she needs to or she would have 6 kids by now :)

Boston: and that is precisely what I meant. Most Irish people. As a non-Irish I'm grateful for the info :)

Swiss: Yeah, I've seen some of it. Amazingly shot.

Tristrame: How'd you classify Transamerica? The tag "drama" is not really that useful. How would you describe this film?

kyenne : It's a road movie (stroke black comedy at times) with an unusual angle on a father son relationship.Well worth a watch.It's a good movie and yeah I'd class it as a drama too.

It's actually currently on sky movies for those of you that have that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

a spanish film: Ages of Lulu has a transgendered (or transvestite) character in it. its not for the faint hearted though as the ending is almost david lynch like.
    It caused me to raise an eyebrow in its dark expression of sexuality, but then thats the director for you

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099484/

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

No-one's mentioned Saved? Well, it's good. In a not-very-serious kind of way, but still.

Advertisement