Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography Field Trip

Options
  • 22-03-2007 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Im Looking for a A in Geography, i'm just wondering can your Field Trip be really done up to ensure you get 18/19 out of 20 or is it better to make it simple short and concise.

We're writing it up in school next week and im just wondering should i do lots of research for it or just write down what we did on our field trip?

Regards;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

You wont fit much research in it, remember you have a limit of 1000 words in total

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

The word count is impossible. 50 for section 1, 100 for section 2, 450 for section 3 and 400 for section 4.

You do have to word it differently to everybody else in your class though. Make sure your graphs are neat! There's only 4 graph pages in the booklet-????? Writing mine up (final one, to be sealed and stuff) next Tuesday. Gonna take hours. Then on wednesday, the history one. ugh.

The word count is impossible. 50 for section 1, 100 for section 2, 450 for section 3 and 400 for section 4.

You do have to word it differently to everybody else in your class though. Make sure your graphs are neat! There's only 4 graph pages in the booklet-????? Writing mine up (final one, to be sealed and stuff) next Tuesday. Gonna take hours. Then on wednesday, the history one. ugh.
    I found the word count very easy to keep to with a bit of thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Finished mine today, 730 words. Where they look for 4 SRPs, put in 6, to be safe (If you have the space). That's what my teacher says anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 miabella

You can include alot of secondary information which you muct acknowledge with the name of book,website, etc.. It's a good idea to do this. It shows you've looked up more info about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

You wont fit much research in it, remember you have a limit of 1000 words in total

I dont think most people stick to that, last year a guy in my school used 5 extra sheets of paper and got an A...I havent counted mine but I know its way over the limit.......

I found the word count very easy to keep to with a bit of thought.

If you're doing a bog, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Seinas wrote:
    I dont think most people stick to that, last year a guy in my school used 5 extra sheets of paper and got an A...I havent counted mine but I know its way over the limit.......
    This year they'll be nailing people for that in both History and Geography. Being able to condense your findings into the booklet is argued to be one the skills you're meant to learn while doing these projects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

miabella wrote:
    You can include alot of secondary information which you muct acknowledge with the name of book,website, etc.. It's a good idea to do this. It shows you've looked up more info about it.
    be careful! it has to be AT LEAST 60% from primary sources..examiners prefer hearing bout what you did yourself....
    also corruptedmorals,my geog teachr told us none of the examiners bothered checking word counts last year..so if you want to write more,you could risk it.but personally id recommend sticking to the guidleines printed on the booklet...just in case

forget about the wordcount, but definitely don't put in any extra pages.

i had 1250 words last year, even wrote it on the front, still got 100/100

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

forget about the wordcount, but definitely don't put in any extra pages.

i had 1250 words last year, even wrote it on the front, still got 100/100
    Our teacher corrects the LC and he says if anyone goes over 1000 then just lie and write down 980 or something, it won't actually be counted. However, if you throw down that you went over it when it explicitly says not to, you stand to lose all your Overall Cohesion marks.

Seinas wrote:
    I'm pretty sure no additional material was allowed. Everything had to be stuck into the obok or wrote in it

Yeah it says it on the front, as with the history, I think.

Managed to get the word count down to 1153 :) My writing is super neat..so that might help. I'm even able to squish all the graphs on the whole 4 pages the generous department provided.

Writing it up tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

So is the general consensus to stick as close as possible to the 1000 words but not to stress over an extra couple of hundred, or is the 1000 words gospel - go over it at your peril? Also the people who got high project marks last year, did you have any particular tips for us first timers?

It took 4 and a half hours to re-write! 1153 words, 10 graphs, 4 tables and 2 sketches. History only took 3- the very next day..throbbing hand.

If you're not writing on all of the pages or to the end of the pages, it doesn't look like you've gone over. If your word average is 14 a line and you've almost finished the booklet- bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

It took 4 and a half hours to re-write! 1153 words, 10 graphs, 4 tables and 2 sketches. History only took 3- the very next day..throbbing hand

10 graphs!! I have 3 graphs, 2 tables, and 2 sketches. Word count of 915 :D Im failry proud of myself! Hopefully got enough srp's in tho. I heard if u go over the word count, u lose ur overall cohesian...dont kno if thats true or not.

sternn wrote:
    10 graphs!! I have 3 graphs, 2 tables, and 2 sketches. Word count of 915 :D Im failry proud of myself! Hopefully got enough srp's in tho. I heard if u go over the word count, u lose ur overall cohesian...dont kno if thats true or not.

see above. i wrote 1250 words last year. Reviewed my script, got 100/100. Didn't lose any marks whatsoever for going over the word count. Also, it's only worth 4 marks overall anyway. So IF they decide to penalise you, you'll lose 4 marks max.

Does anyone know if they're getting stricter this year on the wordcount?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Mackleton wrote:
    Does anyone know if they're getting stricter this year on the wordcount?

I think it's pretty clear that once ya don't go ridiculously over the word count you'll be grand.... upto 200 words over and you should be grand ;)

Cool, thanks. Im writing out the rough draft as we speak...

• Advertisement
Advertisement