Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Windows in Van

Options
  • 22-03-2007 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi.

Does anyone know if there are any tax or doe implications to getting two windows put in the middle panels of a commercial van?

I am finally getting around to buying a 2nd hand t4 VW transporter van for surf/windsurfing trips to the beach. It will be insured & taxed commercially but I will be putting some ply in the back to hold gear and sleep on. It's not going to be a full conversion because I don't have the money to add a high top, and hence won't qualify as a camper. However, I do want to put in 2 windows for light but no seats.

If anyone knows, I'd appreciate an answer. Thanks.

Cormac.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Cannot be done if it's being taxed as a van.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Better off to buy something in the 2002 range that's semi commercial; 4 or 5 seats with a load bay, taxed commercially and insured either commercially or privately.

Worth checking out; the 2002 ones were in the middle of a loophole where the VRT was €50, which was closed in 2003. So there should be a decent price difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

put clear rooflights in instead :D

Heki3-1.jpg

Seitz Heki rooflights can be got at any good motorhome dealers
    (the girl is optional)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It depends on whether taxing of a vehicle is based on seats or windows, or a combination of both.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

You would also want to check or change your screeds, some commercial insurance might not cover if there was windows fitted,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

peasant wrote:
    (the girl is optional)

Bummer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

AFAIK there is no problems with having darkened glass in the rear panels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 comac

thanks for the replys guys.

Yeah, I was going to tint the two windows in the back if that makes any difference? Don't you see commercial jeeps with this done all the time, or are they completely blocked out?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

they're completely blacked out.

Advertisement