Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

mercedes diesel conversion

Options
  • 22-03-2007 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Does anyone know if a 1997 petrol s280 mercedes benz can be converted to diesel. i heard a nissan engine can be fitted. it's either this or tow a petrol station behind the car!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

I'm sure it would cost alot more than the car is actually worth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I think a read here before that somebody did or was doing this.. Would it not seriously devalue the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

As much as I like diesels, putting a Nissan diesel into the last great merc should be a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

so is this:
    Make: Jaguar Model: XJ Series xj 6 Engine: 3 Diesel Bodytype: Saloon

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=640147

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

jebus, that Jag is really cheap. Wonder what kind of diesel enginne is fitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

To be honest View I have a 2000 S320 LWB, bro in law has a 2002 S320 CDI he averages 20mpg around I get anywhere from 14-18 depending on traffic, long runs I get 31mpg he gets 42mpg @ 120kph (better off using cruise control much better mpg) so anyway if I do the maths there's 4.5 litres to a gallon so about e4.70

4.70/31 =15c per mile

4.70/42 = 11c per mile

4c per mile difference so average 10,000 miles per year e400 in the difference. Average price of a cdi over a petrol 3000-5000k so over a minimum 6 years you may break even.

Now you gotta factor in the cost of a nissan diesel engine that has to a minimum of 3 litre (you'd be crazy to get anything smaller in a car that big) the cost of fitting it, will it be cost effective?

Now it's late and I could be talking complete bollix so if I am somebody put me outta me misery. PS next car I'll deffo be buying a diesel.

Different story if you're running it as a taxi and doing 60,000 miles a year, that's a e2,500 saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

only really an option if your petrol engine is goosed and you can't find a replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd advise selling the S280 and getting an S500. Fuel bills won't be any smaller, but at least they'll be worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

colm_mcm wrote:
    jebus, that Jag is really cheap. Wonder what kind of diesel enginne is fitted.

The old Nissan Patrol engine was always a firm favorite for converting old Jags and Mercs to diesel.

Advertisement