Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Number plate speed camera blocker spray, is it a scam?

Options
  • 23-03-2007 12:16am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

I have seen these sprays at motor shows that you spray over your number plate, It coats the plate with a laquer that supposingly reflects speed camera flashes. Im curious to know are they legal and are they effective or are they just a scam?

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/11563

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Maybe I'm talking out my ar$e, but is it possible that a speed camera can take a photo during daylight hours without the need for a flash - just like a regular camera?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

they work on camera flashes, but the digital pic can easily be adjusted to see the number. and of course they do nothing to save you from the vans etc which don't use a flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

They will probably prosecute you for using it, too. Saw on one of thsoe UK Tv shows a guy getting done because his number didn't show up on the video of the cop car, though it was ok to the naked eye. So the flash might not be an issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

colm_mcm wrote:

Im only a newbie on this site, wasn,t aware it was mentioned last year,

Ill leave it up to the mods if they want to leave it or lock it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

spray is waste of money. put this money to buy better tyres.

and

every camera van would get you anyway

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

copacetic wrote:
    they work on camera flashes, but the digital pic can easily be adjusted to see the number. and of course they do nothing to save you from the vans etc which don't use a flash.
    I believe that they cannot 'adjust' the pics - technically then they are tampering with the evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

kbannon wrote:
    I believe that they cannot 'adjust' the pics - technically then they are tampering with the evidence.

I think it is only in CSI where they can make a low res grainy picture look sharp and detailed. The issue of "touching up" has never been litigated here as far as I know. It would be interesting if it was though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

copacetic wrote:

I thought that a digital photo has no legal standing in the Irish legal system and that the only photographic evidence accepted was film only. The idea being that digital photos are too easily manipulated to be considered good enough evidence.

Plus weren't some of these speed cameras using film and the film would be used up in jig time leaving half of them out of action alot of the time. I heard before that clear womens nail varnish has the same affect as this spray? Also for anyone caught speeding if it was a private camera just don't pay it as they are illegal under the Irish Constitution. Having speed camera's on motorways and good roads is ridiculous anyway when the boy-racers (Modified Subaru-brigade) speedsters on the back roads should be nailed with an iron fist.

Advertisement