Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Icewind Dale I

Options
  • 23-03-2007 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

What do past players of Icewind Dale I think of this game? I see it in game for €20 (with the 2 expansion packs). It looks good - but these days with lcd monitors - I would like to know if it supports 1280x1024 native res? I played BG going waaay back and it was good.

What do ye think of the game in general?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Oh oh... a bit of googling suggests that 640x480 is supported in the original and expands to 800x600 in the add ons. Ooooh 640x480 would be a blurry mess on a 1280x1024 lcd screen. Why did I ever chuck out that CRT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

No idea about graphics support, but I enjoyed the game (never got round to getting the expansions). It's not particularly epic, but it's a pleasently solid dungeon crawl. The most annoying part is at the start, at character creation. You have 6 party slots to fill. Which means you'll likely have to make 6 characters, unless you're happy with the pregenerated ones (you probably won't be).

If you liked Baldur's Gate, you'll probably like Icewind Dale.

Oh, and I really loved the music.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Isn't it more a case of if you liked the combat in Baldur's Gate, you'll like Icewind Dale? I thought it was just (basically) one giant dungeon, with very little story or character interaction (some of the best bits of Baldur's).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

True.

No RPG enthusiast can resist occasionally just killing the monsters and taking their stuff though, and plot be damned. It's D&D in a nutshell :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Black Isle games ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Its a good game but more of a basic dungeon crawl than a plot driven epic like the BG games. Don't be put off by that though there is enough of a plot to get you through and the action is good fun.
    I liked the game but much preferred the sequel. Icewind Dale 2 uses 3rd edition D&D rules which imo works better. Also eg you can choose sub-races (all Drow sorceror team ftw!).
    I didn't play any of the expension packs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I preferred ID2 myself, dual wielding Dark elf! Drizzt ftw!

Advertisement