Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M.Eng. in Telecommunications Engineering

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

So anyway, how did everyone get on in their exams this time round? Just finished mine today, they are also my last exams as I am finished the course now :) where did that two years go?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭remoh

Arciphel wrote: »
    So anyway, how did everyone get on in their exams this time round? Just finished mine today, they are also my last exams as I am finished the course now :) where did that two years go?

Well done Paul, I'm sure you got on great. Well done. It's some feeling to be finished alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭CashMoney

Arciphel wrote: »

Hi Arciphel, do you mind if I ask what modules you chose in the end? The reason I ask is that I'll be finished all of my core modules soon (semiconductor manufacturing) and I'll be forced to pick some of the computer modules and I'm not sure which to go with. Some of them don't look too pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

CashMoney wrote: »
    Hi Arciphel, do you mind if I ask what modules you chose in the end? The reason I ask is that I'll be finished all of my core modules soon (semiconductor manufacturing) and I'll be forced to pick some of the computer modules and I'm not sure which to go with. Some of them don't look too pleasant.

Give us the list of the ones you're thinking of and we can advise a bit better!

I've to pick 2 of these. I'd prefer less maths and less difficult :o My major is semiconductor manufacturing and I've enjoyed the core modules so these ones are just a means to an end really.
    I'm told Communications Theory and HDL are to be avoided. Advanced RF circuit modelling doesn't look good either!

EE402: Object-oriented Programming for Engineers
    EE449: DSP (Digital Filters & DFT)
    EE450: Communications Theory
    EE453: Image Processing & Analysis
    EE500: Performance of Data Networks
    EE509: Data Network Protocol Analysis and Simulation
    EE540: HDL/High Level Logic Synthesis
    EE554: Image and Video Compression
    EE558: Advanced RF Circuit Modelling
    EE562: Network Programming

• Advertisement

I'd advise one of your choices should be EE500: Performance of Data Networks. I did it this past semester and found it good. Lecturer very very helpful. 25% for the coursework where you simulate data flow across different networks, in our case LTE vs wifi. I've heard EE453 is pretty doable too. Heard the DSP module is very tough!

I've done 4 of those modules you mentioned, and there's a fair amount of programming needed - for the assignments in all of them, and then also for the exam in some:

EE402: Object-oriented Programming for Engineers
    A nice enough intro to programming. The notes and code examples are great, and Derek who runs the module is really helpful in terms of support for the assignments - recommend maybe doing this first before other modules that require programming, if your programming skills need brushing up.

EE500: Performance of Data Networks
    The assignment was a little tricky to get started, but handy enough once you got the idea. The lecture material wasn't too bad, fairly understandable, and sample questions provided were very good preparation for the exam. Think I did fairly well in this module

EE509: Data Network Protocol Analysis and Simulation
    This is a fairly tricky module. The module is split between two lecturers, one half of it is loads of probability theory maths. The assignments were very time consuming. Ultimately I did enjoy the module, but I'm doing a Network focused masters - if yours is semiconductors, avoid this.

EE562: Network Programming
    This was a module I did in my first semester, and I found brushing off my programming skills quite intensive, the assignments were quite time consuming. Again, the module was split between 2 lectures. One half is OK, the other was fairly tricky to follow. If your programming is reasonably OK, you'll be able to manage this module.

Thanks lads, some good food for thought there.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Avatarr

Hi, I am presently doing EE506: Fundamental of Photonic Devices.

Got to admit I am struggling with the material, any advise or tips would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Avatarr I have done this module, drop me a PM and I'll get back to you ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Has anyone here done the EE588 Semiconductor Manufacturing Equipment & Systems module? If so what are the assignments like? Is it delivered entirely online?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭remoh

Dathai wrote: »
    Has anyone here done the EE588 Semiconductor Manufacturing Equipment & Systems module? If so what are the assignments like? Is it delivered entirely online?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Dathai,

I've done that module. PM me and I'll give you some details.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭citrus burst

Dathai wrote: »

Thanks in advance!

The assignment is a review paper on a topic. You could do it entirely online if you wanted to. Up to you how you like to learn

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Does anyone know how project allocation works?

I'll be doing second year of my part time this coming year and will need to pick a project.

I've got an idea that I wouldn't mind seeing if it's feasable for a project but don't know who to bring it to. Is it just a case of pick a lecturer and ask them?

If my own idea isn't a runner, how are projects allocated and is there a finite list?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭younge

Hey all,

Thanks for the wealth of information offered from these posts - very helpful for people thinking about undertaking the masters. I'm almost certainly going to enroll in the next intake at the end of August to complete the Meng Telecommunications part-time over two years. Just curious what the career prospects are for graduates? I have a Beng Elec Eng and am working full-time but would definitely like to move company if successful in completing the course.

Thank you!

Hi all, anybody out there got good notes on photonics, short questions etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jonnyod

Hi Guys, sorry to resurrect this thread but I just have one question regarding this course. If any of you could answer from your experience I would really appreciate it.

Basically, I am wondering if any of you could put a number on the amount of hours that you've spent each week on this course? The reason I ask is due to the usual family, work, etc commitments and I just want to substantiate whether the DCU quoted time for each module is correct in practice.

To give you some background info, I would be aiming to take two modules each semester for two years and then produce my dissertation in a third year, all by distance learning modes. If I use DCU's recommended time for modules I would have to spend approx 30 hours per week between classes, assignments, self study. All of this of course assumes that I go by the DCU guidelines and there will obviously be variability depending on how quickly I pick things up.

So, sorry for the long-winded post but I am very interested to hear form people who have done this course and the weekly time commitment that you have put aside for this in the past.

Kind Regards,

Jod

Hi Guys, sorry to resurrect this thread but I just have one question regarding this course. If any of you could answer from your experience, I would really appreciate it.

Basically, I am wondering if any of you could put a number on the amount of hours that you've spent each week on this course? The reason I ask is due to the usual family, work, etc commitments and I just want to substantiate whether the DCU quoted time for each module is correct in practice.

To give you some background info, I would be aiming to take two modules each semester for two years and then produce my dissertation in a third year, all by distance learning modes. If I use DCU's recommended time for modules I would have to spend approx 30 hours per week between classes, assignments, self study. All of this of course assumes that I go by the DCU guidelines and there will obviously be variability depending on how quickly I pick things up.

So, sorry for the long-winded post but I am very interested to hear form people who have done this course and the weekly time commitment that you have put aside for this in the past.

Kind Regards,

Jod

Jonnyod wrote: »
    Hi Guys, sorry to resurrect this thread but I just have one question regarding this course. If any of you could answer from your experience, I would really appreciate it.

Kind Regards,

Jod

Hiya,
    I've gone the very same route you have, 2 modules per semester and project in 3rd year. I think the recommended hours per week involve you studying the course work in detail, but in reality it probably won't go like that at all. I'll give you a rough idea of what it was like for me, kind of generalising a bit.....

First 2 or 3 weeks of semester, diligently read course notes or watch lecture online. Alot of the lecturers record their lectures and you can watch afterwards.

Then projects are handed out, and this takes over. You'd either be given one big project per module, or 2 smaller ones - but they generally run from about week 3 or 4 to week 11 (give or take). Most of them are programming based, to facilitate distance learning, so depending on your programming experience you might have a bit of catching up to do. This was the case for me. In this time frame, the project work took up most of my time, and would roughly have been 2 to 3 hours per day with days off here and there. But there were plenty of nights where something just wasn't working, or else thnigs were going well, and I was staying up til 2am. Now I did do well in my project work, so maybe you could get away with less time, especially if your programming is decent. While doing this project work I would have been sparsely trying to keep in touch with the lecture material, but it really did surprise me how much time the project work took up.

When the projects were handed in, there was roughly 3 to 4 weeks of study time left before the exams. Again, I would have spent roughly 2 to 3 hours per night doing this. I spent some of this time roughly catching up on the lecture material, do watch the lectures and/or read the notes but don't get too caught up on them. The biggest piece of advice I could give is to LEARN OFF PAST PAPERS!!! If you know how to answer all the questions from the previous 4 years worth of exams in each module as you work along, you'd be well sorted. Also pay close attention to sample questions the lecturers do in the module the year you're doing it.

Leaving a separate year to do the main project is a good plan, I've no idea how guys were able to fit it in with modules alongside.

It is quite time consuming, be prepared for that, but I did enjoy it

Let me know if you've more questions

Wow kelbal, thank you so much! You are very good. I cannot question you any further as you've given me exactly what I would want from an answer. I have experienced the same time scale while distance learning in IT Sligo.

Thank you, thank you, thank you :-)

Kind Regards,

Jod

• Advertisement

Anyone starting the course this year, what modules have you enrolled in so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Manni_123

Hi all,

I just started this course Teleengineering erring in DCU and would like to choose between OOP and network programming. Please can anyone give me an insight on the level of difficulty both are. Which one is handier for those with less programming background. Also for the project, what sort of project will be expecting. Your answers will be very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Manni_123 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I just started this course Teleengineering erring in DCU and would like to choose between OOP and network programming. Please can anyone give me an insight on the level of difficulty both are. Which one is handier for those with less programming background. Also for the project, what sort of project will be expecting. Your answers will be very much appreciated.

OOP would easier if you have no programming. It's pretty much an introduction to programming starting with Java and moving to C++. The project last year was a client / server application in Java running on the beaglebone black

Network Programming assumes a familiarity with both Java and C. Half the course is about Linux networking and involves a good bit of reading C code. The other half does a good bit of Java programming and the project last year was either a Java application using either servlets or RMI

Hi Matrim,

Thank you for you replying my post. So you reckon I should go for OOP instead of Network programming since I don't have much programming experience ?

For Network programming, do you get to write program or mainly read the code ?

matrim wrote: »
    OOP would easier if you have no programming. It's pretty much an introduction to programming starting with Java and moving to C++. The project last year was a client / server application in Java running on the beaglebone black

Network Programming assumes a familiarity with both Java and C. Half the course is about Linux networking and involves a good bit of reading C code. The other half does a good bit of Java programming and the project last year was either a Java application using either servlets or RMI

Hi Matrim,
    Thank you for you replying my post. So you reckon I should go for OOP instead of Network programming since I don't have much programming experience ?

Manni_123 wrote: »
    Hi Matrim,

I'll answer for ya!!

Definitely do OOP first.

With Network programming the course is split into two halves (taught by 2 different lecturers). One half involves understanding Java code and coding a project yourself on your laptop - you'll need to know the code well too, as you'll have to write some out in the exam. The other half is about routers running C++ on linux machines. The lecturer for this reckons it was too difficult to try and get students to actually do a project in this, so his half of the module is all theory based and involves you learning router structures and trying to learn off some chunks of code for the exam.

Hi all, I did performance of data networks this semester, I didn't get to submit continuous assessment but got through the exam fine. Will I need to repeat the continuous assessment and when does that commence. Thanks in advance...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Hi all, I did performance of data networks this semester, I didn't get to submit continuous assessment but got through the exam fine. Will I need to repeat the continuous assessment and when does that commence. Thanks in advance...
    If you got over 40% overall then no you don't have to repeat the continuous assessment. If you didn't get over 40% overall then it depends on the module as to what you can/have to repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 liquidfootball

Hi guys, I'm going to be starting the course in September all going well & there is some great information in this thread. I am trying to choose which modules to do, reading through the posts it would seem that the HDL module is something to avoid even if it seems quiet interesting from the outside can anyone elaborate on this?

Also has anyone taken the mechatronics module & if so how did they find it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement