Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorway driving ad

Options
  • 23-03-2007 1:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

Just seen the new Road Safety ad outlining motorway driving.
    Finally people might learn how to drive on a motorway!
    Outlines important points like using the left lane of the motor way for driving and the overtaking lane to overtake...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

I bet the add dont show the the dangers of decapitation with motorcycles & convertible cars drivers colliding with deadly cable barriers they installedon our motorways., How hypritical, how dare they preach road safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

How many people who hog the righthand lane actually aren't aware it's supposed to be for overtaking?

I'd say the vast majority of people who don't use motorways correctly known full well what they're doing.

Bradidup wrote:
    I bet the add dont show the the dangers of decapitation with motorcycles & convertible cars drivers colliding with deadly cable barriers on our motorways. How hypritical, how dare they preach road safety.

Yes you are right they should just srcap this road safety lark.
    Its a silly idea...:confused:

ronoc wrote:
    Yes you are right they should just srcap this road safety lark.
    Its a silly idea...:confused:

They should practice what they preach, do you ride a motorbike on Irish Motorways?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It is being scrapped. When the 3rd lane is put in along the full lenght there will only be a wall between the two carriagways. Is the balance of good and evil restored now or have we any other issues we could resolve for you.

Thank you, come again.

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote:
    It is being scrapped. When the 3rd lane is put in along the full lenght there will only be a wall between the two carriagways. Is the balance of good and evil restored now or have we any other issues we could resolve for you.

Thank you, come again.

Thats only a few miles of it on the M50 and the reason they scrapped it because they couldnt use cables because the certre median was left too tight. Thats only the tip of the iceberg.

What about the 80km of it going to Mounthrath, (two bikers killed by it last august), The 60km of it on the M1 going to Dundalk, The 40km of it going south on the N11 to Arklow,the 40km of it on the N4 to Kinnegad, The N18 Limerick to Newmarket on Fergus road 30km and the treacherous 2+1 N20 Cork Mallow stretch.

I have covered the subject on deadly cable barriers in detail in a previous thread in the motorcycle section two weeks ago. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055065016

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

do they show you how to merge 3 lanes of traffic into one going off the red cow roundabout and other? thats looks so easy by painting lines on the road smaller than most cars. obviously most of those exits were designed by junior cert students just after learning how to do helical curves and acrhmedial spirals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Please tell me they have dedicated a portion of it to the correct procedure to get on to the motorway? Why If I get stuck behind another pentioner joining at 50kmh /shakes fist!

Anhoo, can anyone linky linky to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

layke wrote:
    Please tell me they have dedicated a portion of it to the correct procedure to get on to the motorway? Why If I get stuck behind another pentioner joining at 50kmh /shakes fist!
    Well, they do have a part of the ad dedicated to that, telling you to speed up on the slip road, but during that particular bit they show a quick shot of his speedometer ... indicating a whacking 80km/h!

The whole thing looks like it was shot in slow motion too .. very weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Bradidup wrote:
    I bet the add dont show the the dangers of decapitation with motorcycles & convertible cars drivers colliding with deadly cable barriers they installedon our motorways., How hypritical, how dare they preach road safety.

It stops them going onto the other carriageway, and crashing into an oncoming car, killing its 4 occupants. 1 life lost, 4 lives saved. Ah well.

Either way, do we have midget motorcyclists these days? The things are only 18 inches off the ground. How do you propose it decapitates someone? It's also 3 parallel wires, 1 single wire will decaptiate if it is at neck level, 3 wires 6 inches apart will not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I'm not sure I follow this so forgive me if the following question sounds stupid. I know what the cable barriers are but why the **** would anybody try to drive through them onto the other side of a motorway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

DarkJager wrote:
    I know what the cable barriers are but why the **** would anybody try to drive through them onto the other side of a motorway?

Its not that would be trying to drive through them on purpose, it is to prevent a vehicle that has lost control from crossing thru the meridian and into traffic on the other side

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

layke wrote:

Anhoo, can anyone linky linky to this?

Here here,

Why the hell does the 120kph speed limit start at the bottom of the slip road. Joinging cars almost always slow down the driving lane traffic as they have to brake to let joining cars in, which often cant accelerate to motorway speeds from the 120kph start to the joining point ! (Blanch north is a perfect example)

Stupid ! Theres only one country in the world where this could happen - chances are your living in it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

J17 M7 the 120 km/h limit starts at the top of the slip road.

testicle wrote:
    It stops them going onto the other carriageway, and crashing into an oncoming car, killing its 4 occupants. 1 life lost, 4 lives saved. Ah well.

Either way, do we have midget motorcyclists these days? The things are only 18 inches off the ground. How do you propose it decapitates someone? It's also 3 parallel wires, 1 single wire will decaptiate if it is at neck level, 3 wires 6 inches apart will not.

First of all I suggest we transfer over to the topic on cable barriers as the subject is slightly off topic. Before we do would like to point out a few things.

You havent a clue of the construction of these barriers. What about the exposed sharp edges on the posts? the cables can split apart on impact and break free from the posts. The reports of that bike accident on the M7 that killed two bikers were horrific. I mentioned of convertible cars also, the wires can ride over the roof of a car and have done.

The Irish NRA were warned over the dangers of these even before they were installed. I gather you one of these volvo drivers that think that bikers are second class citizens on the road and the their safety is of less inportance than other road users?

As i mentioned to you before this is off topic and i am moving it back to the tread on cable barriers.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055065016

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055065016

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

testicle wrote:

The Cork mallow road has these along the middle, theres been numberous accidents involving motorcyles where their bodies were literally ripped to shreds, horrific stuff. If you hit these things on a motorcycle your are dead, period.

Should be this type on motorways:
    http://www.extensions.in.th/rides/kan28Sep03/kan36.jpg

And on a two way road they should do away with the wire barriers altogether, they leave absolutely no margin of error for bikers.

If you crash at any speed on a bike you are dead, period. Cheese wires or concrete barriers. I have no sympathy.

And, no, I don't drive a Volvo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

testicle wrote:
    If you crash at any speed on a bike you are dead, period. Cheese wires or concrete barriers. I have no sympathy.

WTF?

Bradidup wrote:
    You havent a clue of the construction of these barriers. What about the exposed sharp edges on the posts? the cables can split apart on impact and break free from the posts. The reports of that bike accident on the M7 that killed two bikers were horrific. I mentioned of convertible cars also, the wires can ride over the roof of a car and have done.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that crashing off a bike at speed into ANY type of barrier is going to ruin your day.

ronoc wrote:
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that crashing off a bike at speed into ANY type of barrier is going to ruin your day.

I know, but from studies and on the continent from the injuries recieved from cable barriers with bikers are far more horrendous than those recieved from from fixed construction. They are alredy banned in Norway & Holland and will be banned through out Europe soon.

Unfortunitally the NRA like every other crooked government organisation got these cable barriers cheap (probably with a cash back hander) because the company who sold them knew their days were numbered. They more were concerned about their pocket than that of road safety with motorcyclists.

• Advertisement

If you are already dead, what does it matted if you are squished into a barrier or in two halves from a cheese wire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

testicle wrote:
    If you are already dead, what does it matted if you are squished into a barrier or in two halves from a cheese wire?

Open or closed coffin funeral?

testicle wrote:

DarkJager wrote:
    Open or closed coffin funeral?

Mocking is catching.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

testicle wrote:

Complete and utter bullcrap.
    Do you say the same thing to cyclists and pedestrians?
    It seems you think that anyone not in a car is not worthy of consideration.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

testicle wrote:

What do you think motorcycle leathers are for? Sliding down the tarmac produces very minor injuries if at all. However these barriers are extremely dangerous for motorcyclists (as well as being ineffective for large vehicles, and very expensive to maintain.) Why do you keep defending them?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

ronoc wrote:

Wrong. The best type of barrier is a smooth concrete one - on a motorway the impact will be glancing one with relatively little harm done. The problems start when a limb or head gets caught on the posts or wires of a cable barrier, leading to horrific injuries even in less severe impacts.
    Armco barriers have problems too (exposed posts) but this can be fixed cheaply with either a second row of armco below the first, or with plastic post protectors. Other EU countries are already doing this and removing cable barriers altogether.

Cable barriers will be made ILLEGAL when the EU updates their standards, so the Irish government rushed them in under the old standards...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

testicle wrote:

Stop that trolling, testicle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

ninja900 wrote:
    Cable barriers will be made ILLEGAL when the EU updates their standards, so the Irish government rushed them in under the old standards...
    They are still using them in the Uk, M77 in Scotland is a good example.

unkel wrote:
    Stop that trolling, testicle

Sorry boss, it's just too easy to bait these two wheelers. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

testicle wrote:

And, no, I don't drive a Volvo.
    At any speed?
    Anyhow, as the majority of impacts against a motorway bvarrier would be at an angle and not straight on then a concrete barrier will (with pain) deflect the biker. The wire barrier is less likely to deflect them and is more likely to snare them causing greater injuries. The NRA were warned of the dangers of these but chose to ignore the advice for whatever reason.

Advertisement