Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for LGA775 build

Options
  • 23-03-2007 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Ok i'm moving to intel, with Intels proposed price slashings in April I can't see how i'm going to be able to stay with AMD this year and still get the best bang for buck.

I've got my hands on a QX6700 now i'm looking for recommendations for teh rest of my build. Mainly what motherboard and RAM to get. I'll also need a quick up to speed on the differences between overclocking with Intel and AMD. Does Intels FSB relate directly to the memory divider...etc? What FSB do I need to run to get PC8000 running at 1:1?

Also i'm looking to get 4GB of RAM as i'm going to be running Vista 64bit, what are the best 2x2GB sticks that are reasonably priced (would it be better to go for 4x1GB?) also do any mobos currently support 8GB's?

For the motherboard, is there currently a good nvidia chipset LGA775 overclocking board that doesn't have any problems? (I seem to hear nothing but bad things about every new 775 board lately) What boards should be on my shortlist?

All help appreciated ;)

EDIT: Added build plan, i'll change the components as I get them or decide on them. I think i'll call this build the "Thermalright fanboy" build :D

Build plan for May 2007:
    CPU: QX6700 - Got Quad? Yes I do w/ TR IFX-14
    RAM: Undecided w/ TR HR-07
    Mobo: Undecided w/ TR HR-05 SLI
    GFX: 8800GTX w/ TR HR-03 Plus
    HDD: Raptor 150GB RAID 0 or 2 x SATA 3Gb/s RAID 0 (undecided) w/ Vista 64bit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

The big ones would I suppose be the EVGA 680i board and the asus striker extreme the latter being more expensive!

But I cant really comment these are just ones that I seen in magazine :D

Im getting an EVGA 680i though for my new pc which I might be ordering today!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Well are you going sli or do u want the board to have 2 pci-e slots. Also i would say get 4 x 1gb as 2gb sticks are hard come by and really expensive 500 euro each.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I don't have plans as yet to go sli but I can always keep that as a possibility. If someone can recommend me a non-sli mobo that has proven stability and a good BIOS with overclocking options then i'd definitely consider it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Well id would personally go for the gigabyte dq6

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-058-GI&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=565

or else this one

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-034-DF&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=205

Havent heard anything about the dfi its built on the r600 chipset i think but your a dfi man.

Or else this if you want something a bit cheaper http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-221-AS&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=205

I'm a performance and stability man, just so happened that DFI made the best boards for skt939. Don't know if they do the same for LGA775.

I won't be going ATI anytime soon, as I plan to get an 8800GTX once the prices plummet and throw the Thermalright HR-03 on it (see edited first post) so i'd prefer to stay with the nvidia chipset.

I've been recommended by others to look into the ASUS commando and the Quad GT, anyone heard anything about these boards? i've also been advised to maybe wait for the EVGA rev2 680i boards, anyone heard anything about these?

Also, if anyone has some opinions on what RAM to go for i'd really appreciate it.

• Advertisement

Theres a POV GTX on komplett for 545 which isn't bad :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

omg looks like i will be the only amd boy left :(

am them new evga boards are out soon aks tonym.

were u going get that cooler for the gtx they out here yet?when i seen them on usa sites they were pritty expensive.

have allok here for ram ideas.
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=124283

will the vista 64bit have loads of driver issues no? I was going to get it then heard about the drivers so I duno I only want it tho to add more ram!

i'll probably dual boot a xp with vista just in case. But in fairness it new releases don't have 64bit support, then why are they still making 64bit hardware... plus i promised myself back in the day when I was reading about longhorn that XP would be my last 32bit OS.

Awhir, yeah I don't think the HR-03 plus isn't released over here yet, although I should be able to get my hands on one about mid april. I'm really looking forward to getting the IFX-14, that extra backside cooler for the mobo looks excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

http://www.memory-configurator.com/products/10707.html

G.SKILL DDR2 on offer at memoryC 199.00

if you try to run your memory 1:1 with the fsb you will have to use the multiplier to overclock which you can do, the qx6700 is unlocked but you can unlink the memory and set it manually allowing you to raise the fsb.

FSB 1200 ( DEVIDE BY 4 ) 300 X 10 (MULTIPLIER) == 3300Mhz.

If you were using the e6700 the multiplier is locker at x10 so to overclock you have to raise the fsb and if its linked to your ram with the voltage set to auto -bang !!:eek:

I still have my 170 opti rig my games are saved on it and i use it for storage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 d_advocatus

cpuz-3ghz.png

I've got my FSB up to 450MHz at the moment, that image is only showing 430MHz. It's completely stable and ~30c idle, ~50 full load. Using the Zalman 9700 cooler.

The Asus P5B-DLX/Wi-Fi is an unreal board for oc'ing. Complete control over vcore and vdimm, aswell as voltage for NB and SB aswell as ICH. The only problem is the onboard sound... It's terrible. If you go with this board you will need an external sound card.

Also, my RAM is Crucial Ballistix DDR2-667MHz. It's way cheaper than the 800MHz but I can still keep my timings at 4-4-4-12 at 900MHz! This RAM is unbelievable. Ran 8 hours of memtest with this speed and timings and not one little defect.

Yeah the P5B-DLX looks very appealing, I love the wifi support thats built in (although I could just buy a cheaper board and a wifi card) My only problem with it is if it has good quad core overclocking stability.

I've heard that the newer 975X chipset has better Quad Core support for overclocking. I'm considering maybe the Asus P5W DH Deluxe or the Intel Bad Axe II.

If they put all four cores on one die then it shouldn't have too much problems overclocking. The problem with the Quads now is that they are just two dual core dies that use the FSB independantly. When Intel move to 45nm things will get so much better. I'm waiting for the 45nm Quads.

The P5B-DLX is a great board for overclocking, and that's all. The built in audio is terrible, and the Wi-FI is a bit buggy. If you're looking for a good all round board then avoid it, but if you're looking for pure overclocking potential then it's the board you want.

its a pity there isn't a board for skt775 like the DFI Expert for skt939. A board that was a simple choice for someone looking for great flexibility, overclocking options, support and stability. I'll be really sad to see this board go when I have to sell it.

Personally, i'd like to stay away from the NV chipset if I can as i've heard nothing but bad things about it ever since NF3. All the problems that I encountered with NF4 where promised to be fixed by NF5 and NF6 and it appears they haven't. BUT in saying that I want the option for SLI... so its a dilemma.

My shortlist currently is:
    1. Intel Bad Axe 2
    2. eVGA 680i Rev 2

The ASUS boards look appealing but I think i'm going to give them a wide birth, i've had quite a few problems with ASUS boards in the past and I don't want to get bitten by another dud. Does anyone have any opinions on the mobos in my shortlist?

I'd go for the Bad Axe. Apparently the nf6 lags behind the 975. Have no first hand experience though so I can't say for real.

Advertisement