Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

learning violin..

• 23-03-2007 6:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭

recently bought a new violin after having given up playing for 10yrs.. (played for 4yrs when younger)
    want to get back into it now but would need to begin the learning process all over again, albeit, hopefully a bit faster this time..

i'm wondering what materials are available to help?
    can anybody recommend any useful books/dvds/videos/websites?

thanks,
    nick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Go back over your old materials. That's what I did after a six year break and it came back somewhat quickly. Were some problems though (mainly a hearing thing that's always been there) but I could play one and a half songs by the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Because a violin is fretless, it's difficult to follow a tutor dvd/book, your mind needs to learn the exact position for your fingers, and it's your ear and eye that will teach it. I play without looking at the fingerboard, I find it's easier that way to just play, rather than trying to co-ordinate your eyes to your fingers.

Start with Twinkle Twinkle and work your way back up :)

Advertisement