Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why would they close that road?

Options
  • 23-03-2007 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭

Its insane.

They have plans to close off the exit from the new Dublin road heading towards the Quality Hotel when the road off to the Shannon Tunnel opens.

That would leave the only exits into town at Annacotty and the Tipp Road.
    That would cripple the Tipp road especially, its not built to handle that volume, not to mention exiting towards town off the slip road coming from the Dublin direction is stupidly dangerous as you have to cross a two lanes of high speed regular traffic.

The council are muppets. No single person could have been this stupid, it must have been a room full.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Im not surprised at all, judging from this city's record of bad management. Their short sightedness never ceases to amaze me. But this kind of move would scale new heights on the mountain of stupidity

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The council never cease to amaze me with their stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Crap that exit is so handy for getting to the crescent from my house stupid council

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Where did you hear this ?

I was under the impression that it would still be used but that it would have slip roads as opposed to a roundabout .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Spengman

In fairness there isnt much point blaming the Councils (city or county) when its the National Roads Authority that ultimately have responsibility for the project. Sure the local authorities have an input but the final decision ultimately rests with the NRA!

I agree though it is a fairly bizzare decision, I always got the impression that the carew park link road was a temporary measure however the fact that no access will be allowed from phase 2 of the ring road is inexplicable! Im sure the operators of the quality hotel arent exactly pleased!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thats insane and makes no sense.
    Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

The hotel wont be happy about this
    wont be able to say that they are within easy access from the dual carriageway any more
    what possible reason could they have for this

@ Jumpy

What is the source of your information ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

It was all over the limk post, limk leader and limk independent last week. Diarmuid Scully was criticising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Sorry, what poxyshamrock said. I read it in not yesterdays Post but the week before.

I only just remembered about it today.

• Advertisement

They were commenting that it would further alienate Southill

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Press release on behalf of Cllr Diarmuid Scully

Scully calls for re-think on ring road

Cllr Diarmuid Scully has expressed his “grave concern” that proposed changes to traffic flows on the Southern Ring Road will leave the communities of Southill, Rathbane and Roxboro cut off from the main road from Dublin, Cork and Shannon.

“The Environmental Impact Study for Phase II of the Southern Ring Road proposes that motorists will no longer be allowed to access the Childers Rd from the Southern Ring Road at the Rosbrien exit. In effect someone from Carew Park instead of simply turning off at the exit 400 metres from their estate, will now have to exit at either the Dock Rd or the Dublin Rd and drive across the city in order to get home.”

“This will have a severe negative impact on businesses in the area including the new Quality hotel, one of whose principle selling points is the ease of access to the hotel from the ring road. That access will be gone under these proposals. The LEDP, the Roxboro Shopping Centre and the Galvone Industrial Estate will be similarly affected.”

“Even more worrying is the social impact of cutting off the Southill area from the ring road. All of the plans for the redevelopment of Southill have been predicated on attracting investment into the area, by taking advantage of its superb geographic location on the main access routes to Dublin, Cork and Galway. In cutting that access we will be condemning Southill to decades of isolation and continued economic and social exclusion.”

“The engineers have to take account of the communities living in the areas through which their roads pass. There may be sound engineering reasons for ending the access from the Southern Ring Road to the Childers rd, but the social arguments against far outweigh them. The Social argument must prevail. ”

The report can be viewed at:

http://www.midwestroads.ie/LSSR2/Pdf/EIS%20V1%20NTS.pdf

Page 12 of the Environmental impact study lists a number of roads report

“Rossbrien Interchange where the following traffic movements will not be permitted:

• From LSRR Phase I to Childers Road

• From N20/N21 Cork and Kerry roads to Childers Road”

statement ends

This is Diarmiuid Scully's press release on the matter. Sounds like a ****e idea to close it, was always handy getting out to Raheen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Excuse my ignorance, but does that mean I won't be able to get onto the N20 dualcarriageway from the Childers Road?

Work in the city and always go home that way in the evening. And come in that way in the morning too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

From the release it seems that you wont be able to exit the dualcariage carriage way at roxboro, but you will be able to go onto it from roxboro

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Spengman wrote:
    Sure the local authorities have an input but the final decision ultimately rests with the NRA!

Damn you Charlton Heston!
    You Maniac! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!

:D Sorry, couldn't help it!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

What is all the work/digging going on around the roundabout at the bypass there? They recently removed some of the barrier at the median and paved it over (cant figure out why). In general they are digging on all sides of the roundabout.

Yep, from what I gather the Roundabout will be removed and the road run directly through it.
    By blocking this exit it adds an additional half hour onto my trip in the morning and could possibly kill me due to the extreme danger of the turn at the end of the Tipp Road slip road.

From over this side of town I can see so many disadvantages to this , can someone name some advantages ?

@ Jumpy yes getting up onto the tipp road can be very hard at times but they are changing that thank god
    also half a hour you say (i've been stuck in traffic on childers before but never that bad)

@ Jonski I guess they just want to keep the flow of cars going and make it less dangerous for people to be cutting onto the road (I know it sounds totally retarded but thats the only thing I could tihnk off)
    anybody got another reason?

The amount of cars that use that road in the morning and evening is incredible , where in the name of god are they going to end up now .

• Advertisement

I have talked to the engineer in the council.
    Apparently the planning for it was rejected after an environmental impact study was done.
    This was before the Tipp road got super congested. The engineer was a friendly fellow, he advised AS MANY as possible to write to the city councillor to get this changed, as he said the decision was made years ago and it has to happen soon as the building is already starting.
    All traffic from those roads will be directed into the Tipp road and those coming from Cork will need to go via Dooradoyle.
    It truly is going to gridlock the Childers and Tipp roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Jumpy, is it the case that it is now not going to go ahead because of planning restrictions?

bobmeaney wrote:
    Jumpy, is it the case that it is now not going to go ahead because of planning restrictions?

If they get put under enough pressure they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Should we object directly to LCC or An Bord Pleanala?

He said both. The council was involved in the decision as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Pure Mule

The amount of traffic on that road pre 9am any morning is unbelievable. Can you imagine if they direct all that volume thru' Dooradoyle & Greenfields, past the Crescent. Is the Council aware of the volume or where it is going? Does it care?

^^ more worrying is them trying to get onto the N24 (tipperary road) that road even when theres few cars trying to get onto it is dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bacon&cabbage

Pure Mule wrote:
    The amount of traffic on that road pre 9am any morning is unbelievable. Can you imagine if they direct all that volume thru' Dooradoyle & Greenfields, past the Crescent.

And straight past the councils very own head offices, not only will they themselves be driving through it every morning, but they will have to look out at the madness they helped create all day every day :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

It's a total shambles... can't agree more!

The Dock and Tipp roads are just "standard dumbells interchanges" With the Tipp interchange being substandard in design. The Tipp interchange is the most dangerous interchange ever built in Ireland I believe..

Both interchanges will not be able to cope with the extra traffic brought on by the removel of the Childer's exit etc. Which is insane. It will cause severe gridlock and accidents.

The Tipp interchange should have at least being 4 lanes each way with free left flowing slips in all directions.. Almost identical to the proposed Ballymount interchange on the M50.

Funnily enough, The tipp interchange was only a last minute decision when prior to the building of SSRphase 1..

The Rossbrien interchange itself is going to have two major problems.

Not only is local traffic going to be affected and diverted onto other congested roads, but traffic from the tunnel will not be able to proceed south down the N20.. (unless they go through Raheen and the Crecent, Madness).

It's the greatest planning joke of the decade, in road building. Especially when this the proposed Rossbrien interchange is supposed to cater for all movements for the Atlantic corridor:rolleyes:

On the N20 traffic should split just before the new interchange when one would look straight ahead,
    1 lane from N20 to N7. (proposed loop)
    1 lane to Childer's road (current movemnt)
    1 lane to N18 to tunnel (New left off)

There should be another a slip adjacent to the N20 to N7 loop movent to merge onto the N20 coming from the tunnel to allow traffic to acess the N20. The movement currently non existant i.e Galway to Cork traffic.

The Atlantic corridor plan will pie in the sky if this planning disaster is not sorted As this interchange should allow free movement from All the western cities and it does not in the proposed plan. FACT.

P.S I HOPE Mr. Cullen reads this :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

And straight past the councils very own head offices, not only will they themselves be driving through it every morning, but they will have to look out at the madness they helped create all day every day :rolleyes:

They are the County Council offices in Doradoyle. I think it is the City Council who are involved in this hair brain venture.

Advertisement