Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lead Flashing advice

Options
  • 23-03-2007 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi

I have an apex over my bay window which I need to tile.
    I'm fine with installing the membrane, lats and fitting the tiles but i'd just like to ask if anyone has any advice on fitting the flashing. Block wall above apex which will be dry dashed after.

As far as I know so far I need to fit lead at the join of apex and block wall extending 6 inches (150mm) up the wall and 6 inches over the membrane. At the block wall I then need to run another 6 inch overlap.

How far under the lead should i bring the membrane?
    Should I use any sealant between membrane and lead, or between lead and lead?
    Do the battens go above or below the lead?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

yeah, well I wouldn't put sealant in either location. I'm trying to imagine the rest of the set up. But there's no need for sealant, the rainwater runs off. Overlap the lead by 4" (100mm) so that reduces the chance of capillary action bringing any water up and over the inside.
    As for extending the lead 6" up the wall...why? When I did a bit of lead flashing I put it in a join, either a joint of blockwork, between a capping stone and top of wall, or in an angle ground out slot. Important to put a lip shown roughly in the asterisks below.
    The water flows down the outside of the brick/block above, goes into the crevice, flows down the lead and back down the outside of the wall/lead and flows over the membrane. As it's gravity fed there's no need for sealants imho

X**#

Ah, in Preview Post it shows the bottom 5 asterisks under X whereas typing this and in reality they should be under the #. Cut a couple of slips of lead and roll them up and bash them into the fold of the sheet lead. These will hold the flashing in place/situ. On a long run I'd put them in every couple of metres, but one or two should do you....

• Registered Users Posts: 39,414 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

As for extending the lead 6" up the wall
    I think he means that the flashing needs to be at a height of 150mm above the finished roof.

The best way to find out how to do this is to get your hands on a copy of homebond, either buy one in easons, or try the local library

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭plasto

Your right in putting the lead 6 inches up the wall(4 inches would do)....the plasterer will put a stop beed along it and plaster down to the stop beed, no problems there.

When you bend the lead from the wall to the roof it has to be above the timbers.
    Looking from left to right....the wall is on the left...the lead is on the timbers about 3 or 4 inches.....fold an upward lip at the end of the lead(to the right) about an inch. Then let the tile overhang the valley; you created with the lead.

If you can make sence of that....your half way there!:D

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Mellor wrote:
    I think he means that the flashing needs to be at a height of 150mm above the finished roof.
    yeah you're probably right, that makes more sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

Thanks for all the advice...

Plasto - that makes perfect sense, cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement