Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreigner seeks advice on lecturing?

Options
  • 23-03-2007 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I am a non-Irish European who has been living and working in Ireland for over 10 years. I have a primary degree and masters from my home country in engineering and have been working in industry here for over a decade. I am fluent in English.

I am becoming disillusioned with industry and am considering a move into training/teaching/lecturing. I have been thinking about doing this for a couple of years now but don't know where to start. Ideally I would love to lecture in my field of engineering- this probably encompasses three or more general areas. However I don't know what is the best way to move into this sphere.

Would an IT consider someone with my qualifications without experience? I have been reading the above threads and researching it as best I can and it seems that ITs will accept candidates with a minimum of a masters and 4 years industry experience which I have. But are there lots of other candidates out there vying for the same jobs? How do I get my application to stand out?

Am I right in thinking that I should apply to colleges nearby for odd hours of lecturing or training in order to gain experience? This may be difficult while holding down a full time job though as I would only be available after hours? I have been looking at the vacancies of the various ITs ( live in hope!:) ) and there is a PhD available to apply for. My wife would support the family if I want to do this PhD but I wonder if it is a good route? Would obtaining a PhD perhaps alienate me from industry while not guaranteeing me an academic post?

Should I just continue to apply for posts ( I have only just started thinking about this) as assistant lecturer instead?

I am sorry to be long winded but I would really appreciate any feedback from people who have an idea of what it takes to make it in lecturing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I think I might be able to give some insight into your questions. :)
    Wantobe wrote:
    Would an IT consider someone with my qualifications without experience?
    Essentially, yes. However, lack of lecturing experience would be a big hindrance.

Wantobe wrote:
    But are there lots of other candidates out there vying for the same jobs? How do I get my application to stand out?
    There are. I did an interview last year for one particular college, and the interview panel had a large stack of CV's in front of them. I don't know how you can make your application stand out, I believe a combination of qualifications, industry experience and lecturing experience make applications more likely to be chosen for interview.
    Wantobe wrote:
    Am I right in thinking that I should apply to colleges nearby for odd hours of lecturing or training in order to gain experience? This may be difficult while holding down a full time job though as I would only be available after hours?
    That's what I recommend, it's also what I do. I work a 9-5 job and lecture in the evening. I used to lecture full time, but the hours were not there for me any more - that is unfortunately the nature of the beast. I am really biding my time until full-time posts come up. And I see that there are a few in today's Irish Times.... happy days.
    Wantobe wrote:
    there is a PhD available to apply for. My wife would support the family if I want to do this PhD but I wonder if it is a good route? Would obtaining a PhD perhaps alienate me from industry while not guaranteeing me an academic post?
    The bottom line is the more qualifications you have, the better. A PhD would also open up the universities to you. It would be possible to do some lecturing while completing your PhD.
    Wantobe wrote:
    Should I just continue to apply for posts ( I have only just started thinking about this) as assistant lecturer instead?
    That is all you would be considered for in an Institute of Technology. It's very hierarchical, so be prepared to go in a the bottom and slog for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

Thanks very much for replying Tom. That clarifies things for me.

I would like to do this PhD but of course it is a huge drop in income and with children I am worried that I could end up doing the PhD and still not get into lecturing at the end of it. I think that is the biggest issue. It is such a departure from industry that I think I might make myself unemployable except academically.

Are jobs in lecturing very hard to come by? Or would I have reasonable prospects of obtaining a job after a PhD assuming I am able to pick up some hours in lecturing or tutoring during it?

I know I would have to start at the bottom of the pay scale but this is something I would be prepared to do in order to get that job.

I am laughing because I read your 'by-line ( ?) after I posted the above- take a parachute and jump- doing a PhD feels like jumping with out the parachute!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Wantobe wrote:
    Are jobs in lecturing very hard to come by?
    Extremely. I have no knowledge of the university sector, but they are extremely difficult in the IT sector. And remember, there are now more college places than students, so not every course will have a full complement of students.

Part-time, however, is a different story. In my current position, I didn't even have to go looking for the position, the head of the dept. rang me. So you should find it somehwat easier to pick up part-time hours.
    Wantobe wrote:
    I am laughing because I read your 'by-line ( ?) after I posted the above- take a parachute and jump- doing a PhD feels like jumping with out the parachute!
    :) That's actually a quote taken from a song that the real Tom Dunne sang in a band called Something Happens.

Thanks again Tom. I have decided to apply for the PhD and if I am accepted, then make a possibly life changing decision...:(

I was looking at your thread over on Postgraduates about post grad study. I am so long out of college that I don't really know how these things work anymore. Is a PhD a 9-5 thing? Or does that depend on the discipline?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boffin

Hi don't know much about the engineering field but within the business field while doing an mphil or phd many post grad students do part time hours lecturing. I did this as I thought lecturing was the route I wanted to take but have since changed my mind. Maybe taking that route will give you a chance to get the experience you need in lecturing. Also if you get a few publications and show a strong desire for research this may increase your chances of getting a full time post once your phd is complete.

In terms of available phd topics, I believe most of them are posted on the websites of each of the colleges/uni. Otherwise you can always present your own topic to the college and seek funding.

• Advertisement

Thanks boffin. What made you turn against lecturing, do you mind my asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boffin

Don't let me put you off - a lot of my friends still do it and love it. I believe lecturing is one of those things you either love or hate and you know as soon as you do it. I don't think I was extrovert enough for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Wantobe, my brother used to lecture Maths part-time at night to FAS students in Bolton Street (I think, it was a DIT anyway) and he only has a degree.

This would be minor but relevant experience if you could get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

Wantobe wrote:
    I am so long out of college that I don't really know how these things work anymore. Is a PhD a 9-5 thing? Or does that depend on the discipline?

I don't think it really is discipline dependent anymore. There is a huge amount of choice on how to approach your PhD. For example: I did mine (Computing, 2000) in a UK university while working full time (based out of Ireland). I have recently finished supervising a PhD for someone lecturing full time in an Institute of Technology... so any model is possible. In my experience, it is becoming common in IT/Engineering field to meet people working and completing a PhD. Its a big challenge and will take longer, but is 'do able'.

As for where to start. Look at individuals web pages in the universities are interested in and also look at sites such as www.findaphd.com. It is best to approach people and meet with them to understand your options.

Thanks boffin, H2G2 and R3nu4l for taking the time to reply- appreciate it. I am definitely applying for the PhD and will take it from there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement