Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tale of 2 routers???

Options
  • 23-03-2007 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭

Ok have recently changed BB provider but I am using the old providers wireless router as it gives off a stronger signal which can be picked up anywhere in the house.

So yesterday internet stops working, so my question is does it matter what wireless router you use or should you always use the one given by your BB provider

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Vegeta wrote:
    Ok have recently changed BB provider but I am using the old providers wireless router as it gives off a stronger signal which can be picked up anywhere in the house.

So yesterday internet stops working, so my question is does it matter what wireless router you use or should you always use the one given by your BB provider

When posing these questions it is helpful to give as much information as possible please! Always give details of the equipment you are using.
    Boards readers have many gifts and talents but mind reading (so far anyways) is not amongst them

In general it should not matter which wireless router you use - however are you using cable dsl or wireless bb?

Try to establish if the problem is with your wireless router or the internet connecton itself by connecting directly to the modem and seeing if the internet signal is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Sorry for my ignorance. I do not know much about it :o

I am using cable DSL but I do not know the model name of the two wireless routers/modems. One is a netopia (standard eircom job) I think and the other a BTVoyager.

The laptop at home has no problem connecting to the wireless network it just cant connect to the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you connect via a wire to the cable modem can you get on the Internet? If the laptop connects to the wireless router without problem then it would suggest either your net connection is down or a problem between the cable modem and the wireless router.

I assume this was all working fine together before yesterday?

You say you are using Cable DSL but they are incompatible! Which provider are you with (DSL is where you bb over a phone line) the equipment you are using would suggest that you are getting it over the phone line.

However if you have changed over to cable (NTL) and are attempting to use those routers for you wireless it will not work (well teccies have got it to work!) but its not a job for ordinary folk:)

jor el wrote:
    If you connect via a wire to the cable modem can you get on the Internet? If the laptop connects to the wireless router without problem then it would suggest either your net connection is down or a problem between the cable modem and the wireless router.

I assume this was all working fine together before yesterday?

Again excuse my ignorance but is it possible for the router to be the modem aswell :confused:

I do not have an actual modem. There is the connection on the wall a little filter and then the phone line goes into the router. No modem.

But yes before yesterday everything was fine. Every now and then the router had to be reset as I got similar symptoms. Connect to network but not the interent. When I reset the router this problem would always disappear but no matter how many times I tried yesterday the internet would not work.

Is it my connection. When trying to connect the 360 it would give a DNS error.

So any ideas??

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote:
    You say you are using Cable DSL but they are incompatible! Which provider are you with (DSL is where you bb over a phone line) the equipment you are using would suggest that you are getting it over the phone line.

However if you have changed over to cable (NTL) and are attempting to use those routers for you wireless it will not work (well teccies have got it to work!)

I'm with eircom, it is coming over the phone line, through a tiny filter thing(not a modem) and then into a box with an aerial.

Is that not a wireless router or am I completely off base :(

Vegeta wrote:
    I'm with eircom, it is coming over the phone line, through a tiny filter thing(not a modem) and then into a box with an aerial.

Is that not a wireless router or am I completely off base :(

That is a combined wireless router and modem. Now what you need to establish is if you have an internet connection - thats always the first basic step. So you need to plug your laptop into the router/modem via an ethernet cable and see if the connection is there.

However there may be another issue - you say you are using the modem/router you got from BT. If you are using the BT one you would need to change the settings in the unit to your Eircom ones. That is your Eircom user name and your Eircom password. Have you done this?

It may be that when you reset the router it defaults to your BT settings.

dub45 wrote:
    So you need to plug your laptop into the router/modem via an ethernet cable and see if the connection is there.

Cool, I will do that when I get home from work but as I cannot post from home (interent not working)

What will I do if there is no connection. Ring eircom and ask what's going on??

dub45 wrote:
    However there may be another issue - you say you are using the modem/router you got from BT. If you are using the BT one you would need to change the settings in the unit to your Eircom ones. That is your Eircom user name and your Eircom password. Have you done this?

No I haven't is that a big job as I'd have to print instructions now cant research at home.

The reason I am still using the BTVoyager one is because I can connect in every room in the house whereas the eircom one is sh1te

Vegeta wrote:
    Cool, I will do that when I get home from work but as I cannot post from home (interent not working)

What will I do if there is no connection. Ring eircom and ask What's Going On???

Mavin Gaye lives!:)

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote:
    Mavin Gaye lives!:)

:D:D:D

you'd never know maybe I'll hear it through the grapevine

Vegeta wrote:
    :D:D:D

you'd never know maybe I'll hear it through the grapevine

The grapevine never answered teccy questions though!

Anyways you will need to access the router first - this is generally done by keying http://192.168.0.1 or some variant of that into your browser. I dont know what the precise one for the BT model is maybe someone else here can help on that?

Anyways that will bring you to a set up page and the Eircom settings are:
    Username: eircom
    Password: broadband1
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

When you enter them make sure to save them and that should sort out your internet connection for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

dub45 wrote:
    Anyways you will need to access the router first - this is generally done by keying http://192.168.0.1 or some variant of that into your browser.

AFAIK, the current eircom default is http://192.168.0.254 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

also, is there a DSL light on on the modem?

Liam Byrne wrote:
    AFAIK, the current eircom default is http://192.168.0.254 ?

Although he is connected to Eircom he is using the unit supplied by BT and thats what he needs the address for. (I think the Eircom is 192.168.1.254?)

OK so I think you're right dub45, I tried using a cable with the BT router and no dice.

Plugged in eircom router and I am postin now with a cable. So i'd say if i can change the BT router settings I will be golden.

I'll let ya know how i get on

thanks lads

ok so the adress to access the router was 192.168.1.1

but using eircom and broadband1 wouldn't work for user name and password

what now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You're mixing up the user name & password just for the router box and the separate logon for DSL inside the box.

Did you make sure that you have the other settings correct as well?

Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

watty wrote:
    You're mixing up the user name & password just for the router box and the separate logon for DSL inside the box.

yup i think i am indeed doing this problem now is i don't know password for BT router: edit: think I found them on the mothers bill. will try em and report back. well the mother's account details aren't working so now i'm afraid that the password for the router is lost

is it possible to reset them without needing this router login and password

• Advertisement

Vegeta wrote:
    yup i think i am indeed doing this problem now is i don't know password for BT router: edit: think I found them on the mothers bill. will try em and report back. well the mother's account details aren't working so now i'm afraid that the password for the router is lost

is it possible to reset them without needing this router login and password

The the user name and password for most routers is usually admin and admin or admin and password.

Failing that you should be able to track down the handbook for the BT router by googling for the model number which is usually found on the bottom of most routers.

A big thank you dub45 for sorting me out here.

You the man, got it sorted and back to broadbandy goodness now.

Cheers

Advertisement