Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fake phone

Options
  • 23-03-2007 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

a friend new to ebay purchased a motorola razr mobile phone from a hong kong seller through ebay in december 06.all went well til he got a small crack on the screen and took it for repair to be told the phone was a counterfeit and couldnt be repaired. i helped him to report it to ebay and we emailed the seller but only an auto reply from ebay so far saying they are investigating it. what are the chances of a refund as the seller has a very high feedback mostly positive and is still selling phones and accessories.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

2 chances I'm afraid, slim and none. I used to see this before in retail Panasaonic phones, Motorrola, Nokai, all imitation brands with replica phones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Pretty much everything that comes out of HK is counterfeit, often from the same factories the originals are manufactured.

I'll warrant your friend got the phone for half nothing, s/he wasn't just an eensy bit suspicious?

Pay bargain prices, take your chances.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

123 sterling+postage was paid through paypal. how do ebay get away with all the so called protection policies on their website when sellers like this are all over it.I was fairly sceptical myself when he told me but thought ebay might be as good as their word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

Old chinese proverb, 'If it moves, Then we eat it! and if it don't move we copy it OK!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

All we can do as buyers is kick up as big a stink as possible, and keep nagging ebay till they do something. They are very concious of keeping a positive corporate image, so they dont want bad publicity. Dont let them fob you off. Selling counterfeit goods should mean the seller gets banned.

On a day-to-day level as a buyer, Im always wary of listings that seem to be in pidgin or badly translated english, but are supposed to be uk based.

Id be interested to see how you get on with ebay, please keep us up to date on what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭selephonic

I had a similar situation recently with ebay. Seller offered me a refund if I shipped back at my own expense. After opening disputes with paypal and ebay both told me the same thing. The guy who sold it has loads of bad feedback about counterfeit stuff and ebay haven't banned him yet, guess they're making money from the transactions so screw the consumer.

Ebay also refused to remove the bad feedback the guy left for me in spite.

Lesson is: don't buy anything from hong kong on ebay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

moto razrs are shyte anyway, what did he buy one of them off a guy in hong kong..........

some people.......

i never bought anything on ebay, won a bid on a 6230i ages ago only for ebay to email me and say the seller is under investigation, ended up chopping my credit card.

also, about 70% of them phones on ebay are dud. asia is rolling out high quality n73, n95s phones now........ have to be desperate to buy em.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Why would you chop up your credit card? Who gives their credit card details to an eBay seller?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭peepsbates

legs11 wrote:
    moto razrs are shyte anyway, what did he buy one of them off a guy in hong kong..........

some people.......

eh maybe they wanted a razr

• Advertisement

It is a big eye opener for him and i will think twice myself before using ebay again if theres an alternative as it seems they couldnt care less about buyers especially irish ones.U.K. sellers overcharge us on postage all the time and the complaint process is a joke with drop down menus to report everything except ebay itself and its ability to turn a blind eye to sharp practice by unscrupulous sellers who are making a fortune at absolutely no risk of prosecution.If ebay suspend them they can open a new seller ac the next day and they are back in business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

legs11 wrote:

some people.......

More to the point why did somebody pay 130 sterling (190 euro) for a Razr on e-bay when they were 199 last Christmas on Irish networks if not slightly less.

and you could blag one here for 50e if you were desperate.

but if you like a phone thats constantly SEARCHING for a network then thats your problem.......

He bought a good bit of stuff off the same seller at the time and got grief with most of it but as i said he was new to ebay it looked good on the day. meeting him again tomorrow so will get an update on progress with complaints to seller & ebay

seller has offered to send replacment phone if we send the old one back.he claims its a supplier problem.what should we do as ebay only sends out standard replies to any query i send?

Advertisement