Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom BB

• 23-03-2007 2:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if anybody can help me.
    I have Eircom BB in my house (its a Bungalow built in 1990). The wireless Netopia router is in the sitting room and the PC is in a bedroom about 20 feet away. There are two internal walls in the way.

Although I get a Wireless signal from the router the connection is slow or most times non-existant.
    I get a better / stronger signal from my neighbours router (he has an unprotected wireless network). The neighbiurs router is over 50 feet away. Even though I have changed it a countless number of times my PC always defaults to his connection.

I also can't get a signal on my Xbox 360 (with wireless adapter).
    When I hardwire the Xbox to the router it works perfectly online but in my bedroom I get no signal at all. I manually entered the IP, DNS and WEP as when set to automatic the Xbox found no network bar my neighbours.

I've been onto Eircom and their solution was for me to install 2 new phone points (one for PC, one for Xbox) in the house @ €120 each and buy a 2nd router. Or I can pay €150 for an engineer to call out and see if he can come up with a solution. I had a PC repairman out to the house last week and he reckoned the insulating in the internal walls was blocking the signal.
    Could this be true.

What I want to know is why can the wireless signal from my router not pass through internal walls yet my neighbours signal can pass through about three internal walls and two external walls?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated cos I'm lost.
    J.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Try moving your wireless access point / router away from any computer equipment.. and also try changing the channel it operates on. It's possible, but unlikely, that internal wall insulation is the sole cause. Cordless phones, baby monitors, tv/remote extenders all can cause interference. All this assuming that it does work when you're sitting, say, right beside the wireless AP/router with your lappie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

I'll try changing the channel to see will it work any better. The only thing beside the router that could be affecting the signal is our cordless phone. I'm on the verge of ringing eircom and getting the two points put in the two rooms. This is so frustrating but thanks for your help!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

j14 wrote:
    I'll try changing the channel to see will it work any better. The only thing beside the router that could be affecting the signal is our cordless phone. I'm on the verge of ringing eircom and getting the two points put in the two rooms. This is so frustrating but thanks for your help!

Unfortunately the only thing thats predictable about wireless equipment is its unpredictability!

Cordless phones can easily interfere with wireless networks.

Have you changed your channel away from your neighbours?

Is there any chance you could borrow another router to see how it would perform in your particular circumstances? For instance what brand is your neighbour using?

What make is the wireless card in your pc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

Just to let you guys know, I had a fiddle with my router settings, changed the channel to number 1 and I now have 100% signal throughout the entire house. Thanks to all those who gave advice, you just saved me about €250!
    J.

Advertisement