Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Req) Cheap Divx Player

• 23-03-2007 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hey guys, in recent months I've seen posts about bargain divx players in Smyths and Dunnes but I haven't needed one until now. Does anyone know where you can pick up(not buy online) a cheap €60-odd divx player around dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭thecheese

Theres one in powercity for 50 euro. no details on the web site tho except
    "DVD25 POWERPOINT POWE SLIM DIVX DVD PLAYER € 49.95"

Also check argos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

thecheese wrote:
    Theres one in powercity for 50 euro. no details on the web site tho except
    "DVD25 POWERPOINT POWE SLIM DIVX DVD PLAYER € 49.95"

Also check argos

I had one and returned it. Its rubbish. I have a Philips 5100 and its just ok. Bit flimsy and bit fussy about certain DivX's. If I was going down the DivX route again I'd got with something that is DivX Ultra Certified for chapters. DivX's without chapters are a pain.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I bought the Philips DVP 5960 in Argos(page 337) for €100 and i find it excellent. It also has a USB2.0 port on it and I have a 40g hard drive external connected to it.

The picture and sound quality are excellent from it. There is also a lip Sync option on it. There is also a HDMI output on it also.

Some tricks for it can be found [URL="[url]http://www.phunkyfish.com/article/4/philips-dvp-596012#firmware[/url]"]here:[/URL]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Aquos76 wrote:
    I bought the Philips DVP 5960 in Argos(page 337) for €100 and i find it excellent. It also has a USB2.0 port on it and I have a 40g hard drive external connected to it.

The picture and sound quality are excellent from it. There is also a lip Sync option on it. There is also a HDMI output on it also.

Some tricks for it can be found [URL="[url]http://www.phunkyfish.com/article/4/philips-dvp-596012#firmware[/url]"]here:[/URL]

I agree! philips dvp5960 is a great player... I have one but didnt know about the lip sync function??? where is it Aquos and how does it work? btw that link didnt work

• Advertisement

woooo232 wrote:
    I agree! philips dvp5960 is a great player... I have one but didnt know about the lip sync function??? where is it Aquos and how does it work? btw that link didnt work

Apologies, this is the proper link

The lips sync function is in the setup menu somewhere, sorry I cant be more pacific as I am not near the player atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

yeah I bought one of those 50 euro ones in Powercity, not the best but play nearly all the Divx I've trown into it, bit sensitive to dirty discs but its still working after daily playing for over 2 months

Snake ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Aquos im interested in getting a divx player with HDMI and a usb so i can hook up a big External Hard drive like this one http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=318905.
    Would this work. And what sort of connections has it got apart from the HDMI.

Sorry for sort of hijacking the thread but it may help the op as well.
    Thanks

Compatibility with External USB Hard Drives

If you want to use an external hard disk with the 5960 you'll need to follow these rules:

1. Make sure it has an external power connection, it must be powered externally before connecting to the player
    2. Drive must be formatted as FAT32 (see formatters below!)
    3. FAT32 partition must be primary.

From the earlier link I posted.

With regards to the connections, It has all the standard connections also including component

They can be found from here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Thanks man. It looks like it would do my job perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭palance

Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll think I'll go with Aquos' suggestion and get the Philips model, it seems well worth spending a few quid more for the features it offers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

palance wrote:
    Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll think I'll go with Aquos' suggestion and get the Philips model, it seems well worth spending a few quid more for the features it offers.

Go for it! After going down the road of 'cheap' players, only to be disappointed, I finally landed the Philips player. Best one I've came across :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

check this out over on adverts, may save yourself a bob or two

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=19278&cpage=2&perpage=15&cat=50#poststart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 tubbult

Aquos76 wrote: »

Im considering buying one of these this week but would like to know does it also play XviD files as well?? Read a review somewhere that said it didnt

tubbult wrote: »
    Im considering buying one of these this week but would like to know does it also play XviD files as well?? Read a review somewhere that said it didnt

Yeah it does. Avi's, Xvid's, Mpeg4, and good old DVD's. I now have a 500gb HD connected to it and find it excellent. Sometimes I get a bit of a problems with it going out of synch, but that happend on my other DivX players aswell. A simple pause and play again sorts that problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

tubbult wrote: »

I seem to remember it does, not 100% sure though

According to this site it does

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers/philips-dvp-5960/7060

usually a player that supports DIVX also supports Xvid, I have yet to find one that doesn't. It's a bit pricey in Argos as you can get the next model up for the same price, but I think this one has a lot of modded firmwares etc so has anyone seen these elsewhere?

According to this site it does

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers/philips-dvp-5960/7060

usually a player that supports DIVX also supports Xvid, I have yet to find one that doesn't. It's a bit pricey in Argos as you can get the next model up for the same price, but I think this one has a lot of modded firmwares etc so has anyone seen these elsewhere?

That was last years price. Its now €75 in Argos. This thread is over a year old at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 tubbult

Cheers for the info Snake ;)

Aquos76 wrote: »
    That was last years price. Its now €75 in Argos. This thread is over a year old at this stage

Its still not cheap as you can get the 1080p supported model in powercity for the same price its the 5980 btw

• Advertisement
Advertisement