Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT modem/router in bridge with a wifi router, any idea how-to?

Options
  • 23-03-2007 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Folks
    i've got the broadband from BT, they sent me a modem/router (i suppose is the classical one they sent to everybody else)

i need to share this connection with other people in the house, we have (from the previous house) a Linksys WiFi router (no modem, just router). As far as i know i should create a bridge between them to let the users go through the WIFI to BT to internet ... unfortunately i've no clue how to do it ... i mean i've tried but nothing works.. i can't get out to internet...

any idea? anybody did this before? it can help me even if you have tried on another equipment... just to understand the logic..

thanks a lot
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

got exact same problem man..im gonna try just puting the ethernet cable from modem into the wireless router wan port and then connect the pc and ps3 with an ether ent and wi-fi..hopefully that works..if it doesnt ill just get rid of the modem and just just the router as the the only thing between my pc and internet..not have the router AND modem..im going into get my router now so when i come back ill try it out..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

pingala wrote:
    Folks
    i've got the broadband from BT, they sent me a modem/router (i suppose is the classical one they sent to everybody else)

i need to share this connection with other people in the house, we have (from the previous house) a Linksys WiFi router (no modem, just router). As far as i know i should create a bridge between them to let the users go through the WIFI to BT to internet ... unfortunately i've no clue how to do it ... i mean i've tried but nothing works.. i can't get out to internet...

any idea? anybody did this before? it can help me even if you have tried on another equipment... just to understand the logic..

thanks a lot
    Cheers.

If you have the model number of the BT supplied router modem you should be able to track down the handbook on the net. Basically there should be an option to bridge the modem/router somewhere in the set up options.

When you add a wifi router (such as the linksys) to the bt model you are duplicating the routing functions - and this causes problems. 'Bridging' turns off the router part of the bt supplied unit and the wifi router takes over then just using the basic connectivity from the net as supplied by the modem.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

IgsTer wrote:
    got exact same problem man..im gonna try just puting the ethernet cable from modem into the wireless router wan port and then connect the pc and ps3 with an ether ent and wi-fi..hopefully that works..if it doesnt ill just get rid of the modem and just just the router as the the only thing between my pc and internet..not have the router AND modem..im going into get my router now so when i come back ill try it out..

If you don't use the modem you will have no connection to the internet (unless you get yourself a combined modem/router.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Assuming it's a zyxel modem then the instructions are here. (Taken from my brilliant wireless FAQ ;))

Once that is done, configure the linksys to handle PPPoE and use the settings given to you by BT.

Advertisement