Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racer tyre pumping question

Options
  • 23-03-2007 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi all,

whats the best way to pump up racer tyres with a presta valve?

I have a handheld pump with a reversable adapter which can be switched around to pump up both presta and normal valves but the handheld pump doesn't seem to get the same power as a petrol station pump doses for the standard valves. Is there any way to hook up the petrol station pump to the presta valve to yield 'rock hard' results lol?

thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 zapbranigan

you can buy an adapter in any bike shop that connects to a presta valve and you can then use the petrol station pump

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

You should invest in a track pump to inflate your bike tyres. A regular hand held pump won't give you anywhere near 100psi which is what you need. I'd avoid using a petrol station pump at all costs on a racing bike tyre as these tyres only take relatively small volume of air while the pump gives out large volumes with minimal control. In short, you risk bursting your tubes and tyres and possibly injury to yourself.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

as el tel says get a track pump with a pressure gauge. They are the bigger ones with a foot brace. Aldi and lidl so cheap ones every now and again..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I am very happy with my Topeak Master Blaster mini pump with its pressure gauge (22 euro). Nice and small and includes a frame clip (fits with bottle rack screws).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

i wouldn't use a petrol station pump on a racer you could blow the tyre.
    i bought a BBB track pump recenyly for €20 and it has both valves fore presta and the standard bike/car valve

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

I don't think petrol station pumps will pump a tyre up to that kind of pressure (100-115psi ). If you buy a good quality hand pump it will go that high.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

I would say a track pump is your best bet stay well away from petrol pumps you will ruin your tyres €20.00 is a small investment

Advertisement