Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mercedes Elegance/Classic/Kompressor HELP

Options
  • 23-03-2007 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I am going to buy my Mercedes C180/C200 or E200 (2 Litre Petrol Version Only) in the next 2-3 months.

I have a problem though. I really cannot find the difference between Elegance/Classic/Kompressor no matter how hard i look. Can someone help me out please with the explanation of these? I know a good bit about Cars but the Info on these models really is eluding me and its driving me mad :P.

I am only buying the 2 Litre Version (1.8 does not interest me) and i would love if anyone can give me info or links to the difference in these specs. Is there a difference in BHP? or is it simply the Interior/alloys etc?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

Classic, Elegance and Avantguarde, in that order, are the 3 different spec levels
    Kompressor is the german world for super-charger. So if it says Kompressor its supercharged if not its normally aspirated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Yeah i am after the Kompressor for sure, any idea where i can get details on engine specs and also the Classic, Elegance and Avantguarde specs?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The Elegance and Avantegarde are quite alike except for the suspension. The Avantgarde has stiffer suspension and is noticeably lower (about 3 cms).

The Classic is a base model. The Elegance is probably the most popular spec level and includes auto gearbox as standard, alloys, extra chrome, courtesy door lights, and a few other cosmetic features

The Elegance and Avantegarde are quite alike except for the suspension. The Avantgarde has stiffer suspension and is noticeably lower (about 3 cms).

The Classic is a base model. The Elegance is probably the most popular spec level and includes auto gearbox as standard, alloys, extra chrome, courtesy door lights, and a few other cosmetic features

Ah ok thank you. I do not ever want a AUTO car, ruins the fun in my opinion. One thing that i am unsure of now is the engines. Because from 00-02 they were 2 litre (Heavy Fuel Engines) and then in Summer of 02 they changes to 1.8 Supercharged engines.

But i have heard that they then changed to a choice of 1.8 and 2.0 litre supercharged. I am looking at a 03 car and i do not want the old engine. For example if i go for a 03 car with a 2.0 litre engine how will i know that it is the supercharged one and not the old one.

I know they changed engines in 02 but i still don't want to get caught out.

• Advertisement

If you want a manual stay clear of Merc's
    If your buying a merc you HAVE to go automatic.

I was driving a 6 speed C180 and i loved it. On what grounds does one stay clear of a Manual Merc?

logik wrote:
    I was driving a 6 speed C180 and i loved it. On what grounds does one stay clear of a Manual Merc?

I've driven them, lots of them. I just find you have to fight them into gear. I find them horrible to drive. Just don't enjoy driving them. Much rather the auto.
    BTW - The manual E class is very rare and i found it alot worse than the C class

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Manual Mercs, more so the E class, can be slower to sell than their automatic counterparts.

Yeah i know, but peoples impressions of the C180 and C200 2.0 Litre Supercharged Mercs? You like them? Or is it best to go for a 320 BMW?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Manuals are very scarce and will not sell well so can be had at bargain prices. The change is a bit heavy and notchy but has a nice quality feel to it. I would not be put off a bargain by a manual box. The E200 210 is a bit underpowered and so is better in manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

please test drive an automatic. Most people don't give them a chance. C class not much of a drivers car anyway and auto box better suited to its leisurely nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The E200 (W210) is the only one with the option of a manual gearbox. Automatic is standard in the other E classes. (AFAIK).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

$Leon$ wrote:
    If you want a manual stay clear of Merc's
    If your buying a merc you HAVE to go automatic.

I had an Avantgarde manual and it wsa fine. The man at MSL did advis eto go for the auto simply because they're preferred in Ireland, but he also thought heated front seats (because I had gone with full leather spec) was great especially for 'ladies with minis' on cold mornings.

The manual drive was enjoyable but overall, a manual BMW/Subaru is far more impressive to drive.

Avoid the base models (any car make) and the Elegance well its got all those oldy worlde brown veneers, at least Avantgarde is more integrated and dark.

Well i am not interested in the E class. I think it is physically too big. I like the C class car and the C180 1.8 is 143 BHP and the C200 1.8 is 163 BHP which is very nice. I will have to go for a 03 car and my budget is maxed at 20000 euro. just need to get a Kompressor (new 2.0 litre) supercharged at 163 BHP and i will be delighted. My family have a Auto BMW 530 and i HATE the AUTO. It must be manual. I feel lost in a AUTO car.

Anyone driving the C180 or C200 with the new engine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

The classic is poverty spec.
    The Elegance has a few more extras.
    The Avantgarde is a bit weird. It's alternative inside. Its like something for a goth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

logik wrote:
    Well i am not interested in the E class. I think it is physically too big. I like the C class car and the C180 1.8 is 143 BHP and the C200 1.8 is 163 BHP which is very nice. I will have to go for a 03 car and my budget is maxed at 20000 euro. just need to get a Kompressor (new 2.0 litre) supercharged at 163 BHP and i will be delighted. My family have a Auto BMW 530 and i HATE the AUTO. It must be manual. I feel lost in a AUTO car.

Anyone driving the C180 or C200 with the new engine?

Might have to up the budget a few k.....:D

I drive a c180, 2.0 6 speed manual, 2001, new type body and average about 36mpg, so not that much heavier on fuel then the new type engines, and as for clunky and stiff gear changes ....... never experienced them, smooth as the preverbial.

Advertisement