Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance car model mismatch

Options
  • 23-03-2007 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi, i have a question regarding the car insurance for a 2nd hand car i just bought. The car is registered as a suzuki swift glx 999cc manual. Now when i tried to insure the car with quinn direct they dont have to exact model available in their system...the closest match is a suzuki swift glx 993cc automatic. They have said over the phone that this is fine, yet the car that is registered and the car that is insured don't match exactly.

So the question is, if i had to make a claim, can they just decide that my policy is invalid since the models differ?

Has anyone come across similar problems with their insurance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Ask them for this in writing.

All insurance companies say this is "fine" until you go to claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

They often go for the nearest one if they don't have the exact one, especially with trim/spec levels. I can't see it being a major problem. If it was, they wouldn't do it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I don't see what the issue is tbh.

If it was a bigger engine size it might make a difference to the proper assessment of the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Paulj wrote:
    The car is registered as a suzuki swift glx 999cc

Are you sure? Is that what it says on your tax disc and on your VLC? Afaik the previous model swifts with the 1.0l were 993cc, petrol or auto

BTW I'm with craichoe on this one. Best have it in writing. If an insurance company find any reason not to pay a claim, they will not pay the claim

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

ya, it definatly says 999cc...which i thought was weird also.

i think i'll get it in writing from them to be safe.

thanks for the input.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

My old car was never insured correctly, 1830cc Nissan Primera, and any company I went to said it was OK. I went from a 2l Primera to a 2l Diesel to a Pulsar with different companies. I even changed the details on the proposal form and they never changed back.
    Folks cars are incorrect aswell, both Astras and when cert came out they had added bits to the car.

It's only if you purposely mislead then that they can wiggle out of your claim.

Ring then and tell them the difference, all calls are recorded, and then your OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They often go for the nearest one if they don't have the exact one, especially with trim/spec levels. I can't see it being a major problem. If it was, they wouldn't do it.

Yeah, the nearest Hibernian had to my petrol 2.5 Safrane was the 2.5 diesel version. The girl on the phone just changed the description to "2.5 petrol auto" but the model still said 2.5 td. Theres a differecs of about 50bhp aswell.
    That was last year and I'm with a different insurer now that had the [rp[er model listed.

Quinn direct and the new aib ones have th emost comprehensive lists of models from my experience.

AmI mad or was there a similar thread recently? I seem to remember posting pretty much this exact post. :confused:

Advertisement