Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Egg and Mushrooms

• 23-03-2007 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭

has anyone ever noticed that both eggs and mushrooms go cold really quickly!!! if anybody knows why, tell me!!! it drives me crazy! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You mean fried eggs right? That'd be the high surface area to masss ratio. As for mushrooms, I dunno, maybe they don't contain a great deal of mass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Nice one Gordon... :)

Mushrooms are in fact very porous, like many fungi, so air gets in and out all over the place! The reason for being so porous is that it facilitates swirling movement of air that helps spread their spores far and wide. They have a high surface area at a microscopic level.

Also when you slice mushrooms you are increasing the surface area.

That's my explanation, it fits with the science but a physicist may be able to give you a better idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

I sometimes wonder what's going to happen when the sun eventually burns out. It's really going to have a bad effect on economies in the Canaries, Balaerics etc.

Anyway, I, too, have found that eggs and mushrooms go cold quickly. If I'm cooking for others, I want to look competent, so I keep the oven warm, with plates inside it. Cooked food stays in the oven until everything's ready. Then, at the very last second - KEBLAMMO! - it all goes on the plate (in an aesthetically pleasing fashion), hot and ready for full deployment.

If I'm just cooking for myself, I just eat it cold. It's far from hot mushrooms and eggs I was raised.

Advertisement