Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Broadband in the Park

Options
  • 23-03-2007 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

If anyone's interested we just got our Eircom Wireless Broadband up and running yesterday. They told us it would be the 22nd and lo and behold it was! Still pinching ourselves!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If that's through eircom, it's probably Broadband over your phone line, but with a wireless router in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

am a total IT philistine so you're blinding me with science a bit here. all i know is that it's very speedy and i use the internet on my laptop in different rooms without sticking in a phone cable!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Neets, seeing as you are getting decent use from the wireless I was just wondering what the name of the wireless broadband router device you got from eircom? I have a Zxyel wireless with my UTV internet but the signal isn't fantasic when I'm kitchen and the wireless box is upstairs but at the opposite end of the house! Then again it could be the wireless card on my laptop that is crap!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

astrofluff wrote:
    Neets, seeing as you are getting decent use from the wireless I was just wondering what the name of the wireless broadband router device you got from eircom? I have a Zxyel wireless with my UTV internet but the signal isn't fantasic when I'm kitchen and the wireless box is upstairs but at the opposite end of the house! Then again it could be the wireless card on my laptop that is crap!

I bought Netgear and it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

neets wrote:
    am a total IT philistine so you're blinding me with science a bit here. all i know is that it's very speedy and i use the internet on my laptop in different rooms without sticking in a phone cable!!

That's probably broadband to your phoneline, but with a wireless router from there, so you can use it from any room. Very handy indeed.

@astrofluff - if you have a look under the "tech" heading at the top of the page, there's a couple of dedicated forums for broadband and net/comms stuff - you'll probably get lots of recommendations there. If you post the brand of both your router and your wireless card, someone there will probably be able to tell you which one is more likely to be the weak point.

I've the standard eircom issued netopia wireless router, and it seems to do the trick. You can also get signal booster antennae for the wireless routers, but I don't know how effective they are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement