Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ubuntu on my laptop (possibly faster?)

• 23-03-2007 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭

well the title says it all.

Essentially Im wondering is it possilbe to install Ubuntu on my laptop with the current spec it has - i.e. could I expect it to run faster than XP home?

The main reason I would be looking to replace Windows on my laptop is due to how slow it is to startup basic programs etc. I mainly use my laptop for web browsing and minor things (my desktop handles all the 'heavy' apps.

I find it's quite frustrating when you have a (now) basic laptop and your anti-virus and firewall are taking up lots of valuable resources. (256 RAM will do that!) anyway the specs are in my sig.

I have disabled all unnecessary services, startup items, cleaned registry entries etc in XP and dont see much point in buying extra RAM when I will prob be buying a new laptop (hopefully Macbook) in the near future.

I have some basic experience of SUSE and the KDE environment, so Linux isn't completely new to me, I'm just wondering is it worth going through the effort of reformatting the laptop with Ubuntu and what (if any) performance gains I can expect ?

Cheers and thanks! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Sir_Yaro

Replace KDE or GNOME by some light weight WM like Fluxbox, Enlightment or so...
    Disable un-nedded processes.
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=89491
    Try to use light weight applications....

and it'll work like a charm.
    My girlfriend had Mandrake linux on Celeron 300 with 256MB RAM for similiar taks and it was quite ok to work on it.... She could even watch a movies in a console (but without resizing).

Advertisement