Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poll shows big drop for FF in Dublin

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

Seanies32 wrote:
    Can work both ways.

http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=VINCENT+BROWNE-qqqs=commentandanalysis-qqqid=22518-qqqx=1.asp

I know it's Vincent Browne and he does exaggerate a little but he does make some good points.

Great article by VB and it makes an awful lot of sense I want FF out but I don't want FG in so I would settle for the PDs out and either Labour or the Greens in with FF.

On the whole property front IMO a lot of people are hanging back to see what is going to happen in relation to Stamp Duty once the election is out of the way and there is a bit of clarity on what is happening to SD then things will probably take off a bit obviously not the kind of growth that we have seen in the last 15 years but they will probably click along steadily enough.

Even if there is going to be a collapse I cant see it happening fast enough to interfere with the election so then you are back to the VB story where those who already own homes and do not want to see insecurity in the property market are probably more likely to avoid change or at least to much change.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Voipjunkie wrote:
    Great article by VB and it makes an awful lot of sense I want FF out but I don't want FG in so I would settle for the PDs out and either Labour or the Greens in with FF.

On the whole property front IMO a lot of people are hanging back to see what is going to happen in relation to Stamp Duty once the election is out of the way and there is a bit of clarity on what is happening to SD then things will probably take off a bit obviously not the kind of growth that we have seen in the last 15 years but they will probably click along steadily enough.

It's been predicted before and they do seem to defy the odds but I think the PD's will be doing well to get 4/5 seats. The Rainbow will be doing extremely well to get the more or less 50% increase in seats they need.

Which goes back to FF on say roughly 70 (over or under) seats and needing 1 party to get back into Govt. Actually I think FF/Lab or FF/Greens would make a great Govt. Bring a more socially equitable and Greener agenda to Govt.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

_Brian_ wrote:
    I'm convinced pointing the finger is the easiest way of doing a job ,doing the work is the hard part.

Things are going to get hard ,but throwing aways investments in infrastructure now ,is being outright stupid I think :(

FG have not been elected to govern this country in 25 years. Says a lot about an opposition. Especially when the most imaginative policies on tax/PRSI come from FF.

Reducing tax seem very unimaginative for a party that has had that much time to formulate policy.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Seanies32 wrote:
    Interesting article by Robert Watt in the Business Post to. (Not on online though).

But he points out a lot of the reaction to the lastest economic figures is very surprising and lacks balance. People seem to be amazed there could actually be a slowdown or there is a cycle to economic activity.

Some of the figures people are predicting economic crashes on are:
    1. Economic growth going from 7/8% to 5.4% this year and 3.9% in 2008.
    2. Exchequer receipts up 10.2% for the 1st quarter is considered bad. (These include all taxes, SD, CGT, Corporation tax, PAYE/PRSI)
    3. House prices flat for last few months. They have actually grown 9.5% in last year. AIB and other surveys are expecting something like 4-6% which I think is more realistic than minus figures or 9.5%.
    The property market is adjusting at the minute. There is a predicted 10/15% drop in house starts etc. A 15/20,000 drop in construction workers will not adversely effect the economy as a whole.

There are also advantages to the property market slowing. People have been used to short term capital appreciation which is not a realistic expectation in a normal market. Smaller house price increases will help affordability and help 1st time buyers especially with interest rates rises. The increase in mortgage interest relief also has helped as Permanent TSB are now taking this into account for affordability.

The Capital that has been pumped into house construction will also be released into other construction sectors and other industries. Construction workers will not get the massive wage increases that they have got in the last 7/8 years which will help the Govt. with its costs for the National Development Plan and Capital Building programme.

These wage increases also affected wages across the econonomy and thus competitiveness in general.

The Capital that has been invested in Construction for the last 5/6 years will be freed up and invested in other industries.

I'm not saying everything going to be rosy but I don't believe the doomsayers either.

Its not as simple as that. Doomsayers have some facts on the economy.(Interesting read here http://www.finfacts.com/celtictigereconomyireland.htm )

We can argue till the cows come home on the direction of the housing market. That 9.5% growth occurred in first half of last year, its been downhill since.
    Never trust any surveys from banks/estate agents/economists paid by them, all independent analysts and international experts like IMF say a crash is imminent from any bubble.
    On affordability, from the govt's own budget website, something like only 34% of the workforce earn over 34k a year, 40% of the workforce don't even earn enough to be taxed.

Point being, affordability for FTB who hold the housing pyramid up is gone, who is going to pay for 80,000 housing units, it ain't immigrants unless all of them earn over 34k plus buy as couples and intend to stay here permanently :)
    With exodus of speculators as their capital appreciation is gone, then we have interest rates rising, TRS increases have been wiped out before December, bloomberg reckon the ECB rate will head to 4.5% before end of year from the present 3.75%.

53,000 of the 83,000 jobs created last year were in either construction or public service, a good chunk of rest in retail.
    As housing goes downhill so will revenues from income tax, vat, CGT and the magic stamp duty.
    Coupled with a conservative 20,000 job loss(90% probability Irish) from 20% of the workforce dependent on construction, finding jobs for 60,000 school leavers\college leavers and hell of alot less money to pay for public service, where will the revenue come from to fill that big hole and pay for capital projects?

It ain't gonna come from the same source of job creation as last year. I suggest as a start the govt can chase those buy-to-let stamp duty evasion brigade and a tax on empty properties will help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Voipjunkie wrote:

Stamp duty issue does not affect FTB's by and large as properties valued at less than 317.5k are aimed at them and they are by and large struggling to afford them as present interest rates which are rising.
    Think of it as a chain, if FTB's cannot buy at 317.5k, the trade-uppers who want to move above them can't sell to them as price is too high and so on to the most expensive properties.
    You'll have to wait till Dec'07 for anything yo be done to stamp duty as its budget time, hell of a wait for sellers.

I actually hope FF get in again at election time so they can sort out the impending financial mess looming that they helped create and the alternative govt be absolved as they had nothing to do with the mess.

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote:
    On affordability, from the govt's own budget website, something like only 34% of the workforce earn over 34k a year, 40% of the workforce don't even earn enough to be taxed.

Point being, affordability for FTB who hold the housing pyramid up is gone, who is going to pay for 80,000 housing units, it ain't immigrants unless all of them earn over 34k plus buy as couples and intend to stay here permanently :)
    With exodus of speculators as their capital appreciation is gone, then we have interest rates rising, TRS increases have been wiped out before December.

53,000 of the 83,000 jobs created last year were in either construction or public service, a good chunk of rest in retail.
    As housing goes downhill so will revenues from income tax, vat, CGT and the magic stamp duty.
    Coupled with a conservative 20,000 job loss(90% probability Irish) from 20% of the workforce dependent on construction, finding jobs for 60,000 school leavers\college leavers and hell of alot less money to pay for public service, where will the revenue come from to fill that big hole and pay for capital projects?

It ain't gonna come from the same source of job creation as last year. I suggest as a start the govt can chase those buy-to-let stamp duty evasion brigade and a tax on empty properties will help.

No problem with chasing stamp duty evasion. The Revenue is starting to target evasion schemes and they are contributing more and more to tax receipts.

On FTB's, the figures you quote, 34% and 40% haven't drastically changed in the last 3/4 years. I'm not saying the construction boom is going to continue just that it is returning to normal levels. If Prices only go up by 3/4% they will still be affordable for the same amount of FTB as before.

TRS increases may have been wiped out but if mortgage companies (Permanent TSB have started doing it) factor the affordability that the increase gives, this will also help FTB purchasing houses.

Everybody knows, or should know that economic booms end. Thats not the present Govts. fault.

FG/Lab are proposing tax cuts to 18%. Seems they are ill advised as well.

gurramok wrote:
    Stamp duty issue does not affect FTB's by and large as properties valued at less than 317.5k are aimed at them and they are by and large struggling to afford them as present interest rates which are rising.
    Think of it as a chain, if FTB's cannot buy at 317.5k, the trade-uppers who want to move above them can't sell to them as price is too high and so on to the most expensive properties.
    You'll have to wait till Dec'07 for anything yo be done to stamp duty as its budget time, hell of a wait for sellers.

I actually hope FF get in again at election time so they can sort out the impending financial mess looming that they helped create and the alternative govt be absolved as they had nothing to do with the mess.

I think you have missed the point people are waiting to see what is happening on the SD issue that includes people trading up and FTB when there is clarity whatever that clarity might be even if it is no change then the people who are biding their time will be back in.
    I know a good few people myself who are waiting hoping to save 40 or 50 thousand euro on SD as the property prices are relatively flat they can safely sit tight as the type of property they are interested in is not soaring away from them as it would have done in the last 10 years.
    If after the election whoever wins says no change or this is the change then they will be back in as they want/need to move anyway.

Seanies32 wrote:
    It's been predicted before and they do seem to defy the odds but I think the PD's will be doing well to get 4/5 seats. The Rainbow will be doing extremely well to get the more or less 50% increase in seats they need.

Well I have to be right eventually about the PDs just hoping it is this year

Voipjunkie wrote:
    Well I have to be right eventually about the PDs just hoping it is this year

They have stuck in there al right, despite everybodies predictions but I can't see them holding the balance of power this time. Won't have enough seats for FF and FG/Lab don't want them either.

Seanies32 wrote:
    They have stuck in there al right, despite everybodies predictions but I can't see them holding the balance of power this time. Won't have enough seats for FF and FG/Lab don't want them either.

Although FG/Lab/Green/PD might be easier for Pat to swallow than FF/Lab given what he has said about FF

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

AFAIK Pat Rabbitte has completely ruled out the PDs(even more definately than he did rule out FF)
    As I said somewhere else,to quote the FG sdpokesperson on eneterprise, trade and employment Phil Hogan 'a vote for the PD's is a wasted vote because next time they simply will not be involved'.
    The same goes for Sinn Fein, unless Fianna Fáil are desperate, which given that they've been trying to flirt with the greens and Labour recently shows they know things arent looking too good for them.
    I mean why would a party being doing this if it thought it would get in with its existing partners the PDs, a party(the PDs) which is no longer radical, therefore redundant(to paraphrase their own words)IMO

Advertisement