Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI hidden fees........

Options
  • 23-03-2007 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭

23 MAR 2007 CURRENT ACCOUNT FEES 9.80
    xxxxx.10
    INTEREST

just logged onto the 365 checking my balance and saw this current account fees.

now 9 euro isnt a whole lot, but do they take this off every ones account, then thats alot......no wonder banks are minted. do they take this fee off more than once a year. i have no iota

was going to swing over to ulster bank and get my free 150euros...
    stil might do but alot of hassle changing phone bill etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

That's the normal quarterly fee but you can avoid charges with BoI by keeping a minimum credit balance of €500 in your account for the full quarter or by making at least 3 payments from your current account using internet or phone banking during the quarter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

theres a couple of grand in my account ........i havent used a hole in the wall for ages either.

anyone change from boi to ulster bank?!-

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Before switching I'd get onto them and ask for my money back.

A word of warning about Ulster Bank, I have my mortgage with them but will be switching very soon because the service is appalling. They run these promotions (they were undercutting everyone with their rates when I took out my mortgage) and attract loads of new customers as a result, but they don't take on any new staff to deal with them. They're a nightmare to deal with, although admittedly this may be different in the branches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

BOI are just rip off artists, plain and simple. Its all charge for this and charge for that without even bothering to notify the customer of it until they find out themselves. I can't stand having an account with them, but unfortunately I'm stuck due to the large amount of direct debits and standin orders that run through the account.

so how much would boi rip off your account on a yearly basic approx?

100e wouldnt be too surprised

crazy alright, how can you ask em for money back, oh ya no bother.

'sir, can you refund all the 9e fees you took off me account for the last few years please.......
    oh, i will also move to ulster bank.
    erm, thanks. ':rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I think getting the Financial Regulator to review the charges would be enough to put the boot into them. Something I'm actively pursuing at the moment.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Will that do any good seeing as their charges are approved in advance by the Regulator ?

By the same token I would have thought that by now everyone who had a current account would be aware that there are fees/charges attached. For a few years AIB have been sending out prenotifcations of charges.

DarkJager wrote:
    BOI are just rip off artists, plain and simple. Its all charge for this and charge for that without even bothering to notify the customer of it until they find out themselves. I can't stand having an account with them, but unfortunately I'm stuck due to the large amount of direct debits and standin orders that run through the account.

Well why dont you use one of the switch options available from Permanent TSB or Ulster bank (I think)?
    They switch over all your DD and SO for you so all you have to do is set up the account. Its pretty straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

DarkJager wrote:
    I can't stand having an account with them, but unfortunately I'm stuck due to the large amount of direct debits and standin orders that run through the account.

= A common misconception. If you want to change BOI have to give you a switching number which will allow your new bank to transfer all existing dd ands sos to your new account. I switched to PTSB no fees and never looked back. It was brought in so people could move accounts more easily. If you think Irish banks are bad you should try the UK ones. My gf went into overdraft by a couple of quid twice and they took €120 in fees for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭lm7

joined ulster bank last year for the usual dd, wages. went for a loan I was told it would take two days for a reply. Two weeks later I rang the bank , there was no trace of my application. called in to the branch gave them all my details again. week later no reply. I called in to the branch again and canceled the loan application. I went to withdraw 20 uros using my card at the atm. it could not read the card so i went in to the branch. they told me they where in the process of updateing cards and that I would have to make an application for new one. I withdrew the 20 Euro and had to sign a docket for it. this means now any time i want to withdraw,10 or 20 euro I have to go in and sign docket for it. applied for my new card last week still no sign of it. I was never informed that my card would need to be changed. why could they not have just sent me out a letter informing me that my card would need to be changed. I did at one time use there online banking but to many times it would not work.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Mrs. Parsi had her SSIA with Ulster Bank and it was a disaster to setup and a rigmarole to have it paid out.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

I was with BOI since I first opened an a/c and have just found their service appalling recently especially in the branches - always understaffed..

They debited €43 in quarterly fees from me a couple of months ago, quarterly fees were usually around €20 (before the free fees with conditions). There was a €25 'overdraft facility' fee and it turns out they have charged me this for the last 5 years. I have not been overdrawn in at least 2-3 years and thought a simple phone call would sort it out but I got some wagon on the phone who kept saying T&Cs over & over... Went to a branch and same story, I went to TSB and switched to them and had BOI on the phone the next day offering to rebate the last year's fees to move back!!

I'm only with TSB a couple of months but think they're great to deal so far with and would recommend it!

"joined ulster bank last year for the usual dd, wages. went for a loan I was told it would take two days for a reply. Two weeks later I rang the bank , there was no trace of my application. called in to the branch gave them all my details again. week later no reply. I called in to the branch again and canceled the loan application. I went to withdraw 20 uros using my card at the atm. it could not read the card so i went in to the branch. they told me they where in the process of updateing cards and that I would have to make an application for new one. I withdrew the 20 Euro and had to sign a docket for it. this means now any time i want to withdraw,10 or 20 euro I have to go in and sign docket for it. applied for my new card last week still no sign of it. I was never informed that my card would need to be changed. why could they not have just sent me out a letter informing me that my card would need to be changed. I did at one time use there online banking but to many times it would not work."

WOW, that takes customer service to an all new low........

christ on a bike, good job i didnt switch to em from boi, least with boi i can withdraw money,lol.

last poster, any cash lure to move from one bank to them??!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

no cash lure legs11, I had taken out my mortgage with them and had opened an a/c with them for that so they had all my documents on file so they were the obvious choice to move my personal a/c to when I lost the rag with BOI cos I'm as lazy as ***...

I did obviously check their c/card rates and fees compared to other banks and found them to have the best package for me, I've no interest in savings accounts so don't know how they compare to other banks on that but from a customer service perspective they're miles ahead of BOI or TSB... NIB aren't bad either too though...

Advertisement