Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC World Limerick: now a bargain free zone.

Options
  • 23-03-2007 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭

I used to get great bargains occasionally from PC World in Parkway Retail Park, Limerick. Over the last 6 months they've changed the store sale policy and the layout and now there's hardly ever any good deals there. Disappointed. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Yeah, most stores eliminated the Bargain Zone when they were refitted. There was often, very good, but unusual deals to be found there. As for good deals, this is your time of year to get them. XP laptops/desktops are getting discounted as they're all clearance. Coming up to the end of the Business year, clearance is the last thing PC World wants.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I definitely noticed this too. And they carry barely any games, and i dont think they carry a single PC with so much as an SLI motherboard. Its a long time since I have seen a good deal in there...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I never really thought they were great for offers....I only pick up small goods in there to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

What would people recommend as a good place to pick up a laptop? My friend got one from Dell, but had awful hassle getting it delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

I would only ever have visited PCWorld as a last resort tbh. usually buy most of my components off the web or direct from Dell.

Be careful about buying laptops and such in shops like this, as the staff in there no how to lump in useless addons into the sale and more often than not play on the naivety of customers. Go with someone who knows a bit about computers and have a proper look around

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

how to lump in useless addons into the sale

Staff: Do you want insurance ?
    Me: No
    S: Let me just check how much it would cost you
    M: No point. My house and credit card insurance will cover it
    S: You'll need the bundled anti-virus, net/nanny, etc
    M: No - Norton and McAfee hog resources. It's for personal use anyway, so AVG is free [OR] NOD32 is much better and less resource-hungry. And I don't have kids, but thanks for asking.
    S: How about eircom BB ?
    M: You're joking, right ?
    S: Do you need any other extras ?
    M: Probably, but I've to see where I'm putting it yet - I'll call back

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I had a lecturer last semester who went on about how brutal their customer service was....he had to threaten legal action before they replaced the laptop he bought with another one that broke down 8 months later....he's an IT lecturer so it was a massive inconvenience...he recommended that anyone in the market for hardware should buy it online. preferrably Apple products as they have built in firewalls and virus control. they're more expensivce but will last longer and are more reliable!!

sub....when he told PC world he had over 2000 students for IT modules every year who he would badmouth them to, they offered to upgrade him, but he was happy enough that he had gotten a refund out of them and made good on the promise to put anyone off shopping there

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

PC World, Curry's and Dixons are all owned by the same company, the Dixon Group.

I usually buy stuff off these guys and find them reasonably priced and never had any issue with their products. The shipping can be a bit pricy but if you buy more than one item at a time it works out cheaper: http://www.komplett.ie

For example, I bought a Western Digital external 3.5" My Book 250GB hard drive for €126 including shipping before Christmas. The same product was on sale in PC World for around €140.

P.S. I have no association with them, just personal experience and recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Just been in there again today, and the price of the PCs & laptops have gone way up (PC World and Currys). Might be combined Vista/SSIA effect.

Anyway yes, as has been said already, I would never buy any PCs or laptops from PC World because they're not usually the cheapest. I wouldn't recommend them either unless the item they're offering is really well priced, and you've shopped around first (i.e. tried Dell, Komplett, Dabs, Maplins, or build your own)

I may have misled people when I said I used to get bargains in PC World. I wasn't talking about PCs and laptops, but computer hardware & accessories, components, networking and some software. They don't reduce these items in price much now. In the past they did have great reductions on selected items within these categories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

www.laptopsdirect.ie has plenty of good deals that I've seen. Asus and Acer in particular seem to have pretty cracking deals. I'd never buy from dell after doing some comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Yeah, I gotta say my visits to PC World (Dublin) have been increasingly dissapointing... I feel like a mug just setting foot inside the place.
    Laughing, eye-rolling and wtf'ing at the prices of things.
    Their selection of components is rubbish and they need to actually start putting prices on display for everything.
    It's rare that I actually buy something.
    Only a week ago I saw Quake4 selling for 60 euro... sure I saw it months ago in Smiths for 15 or 20 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

In general PC World are woeful, however, they have the rare great deal. I got a 6600GT for 49.99, and an X-Fi for 59.99, as well as various other bits and pieces over the years.

In general though I'd never buy a high end piece of kit in there. Even the most simple of things are taxing for their staff. Galway I would sometimes feel, has to be especially bad. I once had a problem with my laptop - backed up by the events log - and they did not let an engineer look at it until they had sent me away 5 times, with 'I'm almost sure this will fix it this time....'.

You could tell them your PC burst into flames and burnt down your house and they'd probably suggest updating the bios.

Pricing (when its even available) is a joke entirely. 6600GT for 49.99, while an ancient relic of a 9550 sits there for the past few years at an unchanging 220 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

ninty9er wrote:
    he's an IT lecturer... preferrably Apple products as they have built in firewalls and virus control. they're more expensivce but will last longer and are more reliable!!

XP has a built in firewall. If you pay apple prices you can get PC hardware that lasts just as long and will be just as reliable. I like Apple but some people horribly overrate Apple stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fiateuro

Iwould not recommend PC World to anyone I returned a computer to the store that was faulty and instead of sending it back to Sony they put it on display and sold it as NEW to another customer with all my personal details on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fiateuro

fiateuro wrote: »
    Iwould not recommend PC World to anyone I returned a computer to the store that was faulty and instead of sending it back to Sony they put it on display and sold it as NEW to another customer with all my personal details on it.
    I got no satisfaction when I complained and they offered the other customer 150 euro to keep the computer etc etc

{link removed - we get it, you're not happy with them...}

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thanks for dragging up an 8 month old thread to tell us. Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement