Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fetac level 6?

Options
  • 23-03-2007 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

Hi, If anybody could clear this up I would be Greatfull.

Is it possible for somebody who has their Leaving cert only, not prior Fetac level 5 results, to gain entry to a level 6 Fetac course?

For example:
    http://www.colaisteide.ie/full-time-courses/technology-and-science/computer-and-network-technician.html

Just it depend on individual colleges?, or is it not possible at all to take up level 6
    courses without level 5? I think the leaving cert is level 5?, would it suffice?

Tried ringing a few colleges, but most have mixed views or know very little.
    I mean it would be extra work, but that isnt a concern.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

You might find some info here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

You can do a 6 with a Junior Cert tbh. By the by that's a nice choice of course, I applied for it, if not a similar course they ran 2 years prior, and was accepted but opted for this instead and will be finishing up this May, I suggest you consider doing the same but you'd really wanna be applying this evening.

http://www.whitehallcollege.com/courses/01d-software systems.php

The CCNA is what sold me on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I dont know about that, A Fetac level 6 cert is equivalent to a Higher Certificate from an Institute of Technology.
    Most places dont accept a JC, I mean it just isnt enough in fairness(or is it?)

Naikon wrote:
    Most places dont accept a JC, I mean it just isnt enough in fairness.

It is if you can demonstrate enough knowledge in the area. Anyway, you're laughing with a Leaving Cert.

Oh,ok:)
    I was wondering though, is it possible to do the course in one year to get a level 6 award instead of 2 for level 6?
    The CCNA looks like a big plus considering its a Cisco award.

• Advertisement

Dude if it was possible don't you think the course would only be one year? They're not trying to rip us off or anything :D

You can apply online this evening and you'll get called for the last round of interviews very shortly. If you do this and get called pm me and I'll tell you what to say to them about the Cisco OSI Model etc etc.

[Edit] I see your location is in Hex, maybe you already know enough? What's your background, computer wise?

Ok, I will send an application in.
    No real background as of yet, just some C programming and building pc,s/small bit of assembly etc.
    Networking looks like an interesting area.
    Cheers;)

http://www.bife.ie/courses/n2/
    This course can be done in one year which is a bit strange considering other courses take two years:confused:

Wait, I see they dont cover CCNA which seems to explain the one year duration.
    I will have to look into the CCNA.

Naikon wrote:
    Ok, I will send an application in.
    No real background as of yet, just some C programming and building pc,s/small bit of assembly etc.

You're well able for it! I think I'll be doing my MCP there next year so I might see you around. Also we'll have a brand new building and facilities for September! Keep me informed.
    Naikon wrote:
    I will have to look into the CCNA.

Strap yourself in, time to peer through the looking glass :D

Personally I'm hoping to do my CCNP over the summer - scratch that, I am doing my CCNP over the summer. Gotta catch 'em all!

Hey, thanks:)
    Good look with the CCNP, I hear thats a pretty damn well respected certification.
    Just one last question, does the Networking route involve switches and routers and network apliances, or is Server/Operating systems emphasised?
    Networking looks like a very interesting route I must say.

• Advertisement

Ask as many questions as you like. Only it's switches and router based. You're aware of what servers can do on a network but you don't really deal with them. Only new OS you'll encounter is the one Cisco uses on these network devices.

Cool, I presume IOS is the main router OS?

Advertisement