Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP:Fear of expulsion !!! I need legal advice!

Options
  • 23-03-2007 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

this can't be real. seriously....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Vamp369

Hello everyone. This is my first post and I need anyone's help. Im being expelled
    for not going to a mass today at school. Its a Catholic school and Im an atheist
    and I didnt want to go to mass. Im now being threatened with expulsion because they feel I was disrespectful for not showing up. I respect they're religion, its up to everyone what they believe in just dont force it on me. I know its a Catholic school and all but Protestants and Jews go so I though I dont believe in any religion there's no point in me going, now Im threatened with expulsion. Please any help will do, Im in 5th year and dont want to have to start over in a new school please help.

Have you talked to your parents about this? Or the teachers?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I'd say calm down, for a start. Because you have to think rationally through this. Its quite hard to justify expelling someone, even some of the worst scumbags in Ireland, so I highly doubt that they will expel you. You may just need some facetime with the principal and explain the situation more clearly.

Its true it happened today. The principal said it would go to the board of management and that it would probably end in expulsion at the worst

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

They actually can't expel you, or at least without a proper reason so don't worry, he/she's only trying to scare you

• Advertisement

He could spin it that I was being disorderly by not being respectful by not being there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Even that in itself isn't grounds for expulsion. Even if a BoM decide to expel a student, the DoE must be informed and any expulsion can then be appealed by the student.

Unless you're a troublesome student (have been suspended in the past), you'll be okay.

So back to my questions... Have you talked to your parents about it?

Ive never being suspended I would consider myself an orderly student, Im on the student council, nothing like this has ever happened before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭DtotheK

i sincerely doubt they can expel you for that.. they can't punish you for your religious beliefs. I can completely understand why you didnt' attend it, i'm an atheist and have to go to prodistant mas each morning, i just keep my mouth shut and don't pray and try to blank out the chaplen.

You were absolutly right to do what you did, and no way you'll be expelled just for that, thats barely a reason for detention. i think the board will just laugh at them if they bring it up, which i doubt they will. they just need control and trying to scare you.

And anyway if a school is that ridicolous , all the students would be better off else where.

maybe just do what i do from now on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

If they can expel you for that, its a joke.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Similar happened to me for the same reasons. Refused to attend a mass due to athiestic leanings. I had some explaining to do to an angry Principal, but she took it quite well once I finessed her with my legendary *cough* charm.
    I think that its based on the declaration when you signed into the school that you were a catholic, which is somehow vaguely important when going to a catholic school. But in fairness, if they expel you because of your religious beliefs, thats discrimination.

If anyone has legal advice that would settle me nerves I am really worried thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Technically it is a privately owned institution, so they can expel you if they want. They can also discriminate against those who do not meet their 'ethos'.

In practice however, it is most unlikely that they will. The adverse publicity and legal wrangling would not be worth it.

How you are feeling now is exactly what they wanted.

They can't. They are most likely part of the Voluntary Schools Scheme which means they get DoE support and therefore must adhere to DoE policies.

I didnt break the code of behavior I didnt really do anything wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Vamp369 wrote:
    If anyone has legal advice that would settle me nerves I am really worried thanks

No-one can give you legal advice, as boards would be accountable if you acted on what they said and it turned out to be inaccurate. People can just give you their opinions and thoughts on the situation.

Vamp369 wrote:

http://www.flac.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

i'm sorry but this one is a little hard to believe... :-S

Sorry didnt realize that. Any documents I could read to see where I stand?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Religious owned schools are exempt from equality legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

spurious wrote:
    Technically it is a privately owned institution, so they can expel you if they want. They can also discriminate against those who do not meet their 'ethos'.
    Bullsh*t. Even if it's privately-owned it is still receiving funding from the state. Also private clubs do not have completely control of their policies, regardless of their funding. Consider the Portmarnock Golf Club case where rules regarding the admittance of women ended up in court.

The OP is almost certainly a troll btw.

spurious wrote:
    Religious owned schools are exempt from equality legislation.
    You're wrong. Schools owned by religious orders receive state funding and as such HAVE to adhere to DoE regulations.

That is simply not true.
    There are a number of exemptions which religious institutions including schools and hospitals got from the Equality legislation so as to maintain their ethos.

I was never asked to sign anything to say I agree with they're ethos only the code of behavior and it doesn't mention anything about religion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Vamp369 wrote:
    I was never asked to sign anything to say I agree with they're ethos only the code of behavior and it doesn't mention anything about religion

If it did not stipulate on the forms you signed for joining the school about religion then the school has nothing to back it self on, quite frankly. If they do try to expel you then maybe you should consider getting legal advise to frighten them off.

I wouldnt get worried about it. Relax:) . Just wondering and for curiosity what school are you going to??

*snip* let's not get anyone in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

This isn't a legal forum. If you are worried, have a word with your parents or ring up the relevent authorities.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement