Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

975X Motherboard Recommendation?

Options
  • 23-03-2007 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I'm upgrading to Core Duo and PCIe and hence need a new motherboard. The
    main choice is between 975X vs nVidia SLI, and I'm thinking of opting for
    975X - while I'd love to have the option of adding another graphics card at
    some point, I'm a bit wary of nVidia SLI boards, having read about their
    instability, problems with SATA data loss, and having already had a nForce
    (A7N8X-Deluxe) board that was a bit flaky (give me the ability to play a
    game without crashing every half-hour, over a few more FPS. any day).

In order of importance, I'm looking for a a motherboard, for under ?150
    (£110), which:

* ATX size
    * Supports Core 2 Duo and Core Extreme processors
    * Supports SATA II (aka 3.0) drives
    * Supports at least 4GB memory, possible 8GB
    * Known for stability
    * 3 PCI slots - enough for audio card, extra USB port card, and wifi card
    * At least 1 Firewire + at least 6 USB2 ports

Nice to haves, not that important:

* Onboard Wireless-G wifi
    * Onboard audio
    * Overclocking potential (but not at expense of stability)

If anyone has a favourite which matches that list, would appreciate a
    recommendation,

Thanks,

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

As far as I know the 965's are better for overclocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Dual GPU support on Intel motherboards is only available via ATI's GPU's so keep that in mind.

Only NVIDIA motherboards support SLI.

I understand your wariness haven been party to all sorts of quirks on NV motherboards as well.

The 975X support dual x8 slots whereas the 965 have a x16/4 balance but this is not very well supported in ATI's drivers only Direct3D API is for x16/4 mode.

I'd have a look at the MSI 975X PowerUp version as it supports all the Core 2 Duo class CPU's and is fairly well stacked with features though it does not meet all of your requirements and finding a board that does may not be possible (review).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Well, as mentioned I've little or no interesting in overclocking. Sure, if I could do it in 5 minutes with no extra cooling and no impact on warranties stability for visible results, of course. :)

Thanks for the link, it looks promising. Only 2 PCI slots is disappointing though; if it had more USB ports or onboard WiFi, that wouldn't be a problem, but with the additional of an audio card and WiFi, that's both slots gone already.

Cheers,

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 d_advocatus

oceanclub wrote:
    Sure, if I could do it in 5 minutes with no extra cooling and no impact on warranties stability for visible results, of course. :)

You can! You can push up the FSB on a C2D to 300MHz and it'll be stable, cool and faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

oceanclub wrote:
    Well, as mentioned I've little or no interesting in overclocking. Sure, if I could do it in 5 minutes with no extra cooling and no impact on warranties stability for visible results, of course. :)

Thanks for the link, it looks promising. Only 2 PCI slots is disappointing though; if it had more USB ports or onboard WiFi, that wouldn't be a problem, but with the additional of an audio card and WiFi, that's both slots gone already.

Cheers,

P.

You could always just use a USB hub and a USB WiFi card there really shouldn't be any major difference.

This Asus 975X board has 3 PCI slots but if using dual GPU one PCI slot will be unusable due to it's proximity to the PCI-e slot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement