Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linksys WRT54G router and Kerry Braoad band.

Options
  • 23-03-2007 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭

Hi ,I just got Kerry Broadband wirlesss service and want to use it with my Linksys WRT54G router to have wirelss around the house..
    However I do not know what setting to use for connection type
    Static IP
    DHCP
    PPPoE
    PPTP

No user name or password are needed to login to the Kerry Broad Band service, all it is is a wireless antenna on the roof that goes into a little power box and then into the lan port on the PC

Anyone know how I can run it through the Linksys.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

try plugging them all in first and see if it works automatically (using network cables)

set the wan interface (wan = outside) of the linksys to dhcp not static

set the inside to dhcp

before you do , if you type

ipconfig /all

at a command prompt it will give you the settings kerry gives your laptop which are the settings the wan port on the linksys should get

i can see a problem if the kerry box gives you a 192.168.1.xxx addresss, you will have to change the default ip address range on the linksys to 192.168.2.xxx in that case its not hard .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Sponge Bob wrote:
    try plugging them all in first and see if it works automatically (using network cables)

set the wan interface (wan = outside) of the linksys to dhcp not static

set the inside to dhcp

before you do , if you type

ipconfig /all

at a command prompt it will give you the settings kerry gives your laptop which are the settings the wan port on the linksys should get

i can see a problem if the kerry box gives you a 192.168.1.xxx addresss, you will have to change the default ip address range on the linksys to 192.168.2.xxx in that case its not hard .

Thanks for the info Sponge Bob.
    Everything works fine using cables if I connect the internet cable from the radio to one of the 4 ports (not the one marked Internet) on the WRT54G and then connect another cable from another one of the 4 ports to the PC.
    However I cannot seem to get this to work wirelessly.

I am not sure where to set the WAN or LAN to DHCP or how to give the WAN port the settings from a ipconfig/all as you describe aove The Basic setup page on the WRT54G is as in the attached file.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Plug the "radio" directly into your PC. Then open a command prompt and do "ipconfig /all". Is the ip address in the 192.168.x.x range?

irlrobins wrote:
    Plug the "radio" directly into your PC. Then open a command prompt and do "ipconfig /all". Is the ip address in the 192.168.x.x range?

Yes

Yes
    In that case, set the router to have a static ip to match what came up in that ipconfig. Set the gateway and dns to also match what came up in ipconfig.

Then for the LAN/wireless, set the ip address range to one that is different from the WAN side.

i.e if the ipconfig returned 192.168.1.X then use 192.168.2.X.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'm having a similiar problem using the WRT54GL - can't connect wirelessly to the InterWeb so I'd be interested to see if you get this problem resolved before I start my own thread on a similiar issue.

irlrobins wrote:
    In that case, set the router to have a static ip to match what came up in that ipconfig. Set the gateway and dns to also match what came up in ipconfig.

Then for the LAN/wireless, set the ip address range to one that is different from the WAN side.

Thanks, I take it this is all done in the Basic Setup page rather than in the Advanced Routing page.

Yep.

Seem to be in somewhat the same boat, using a Linksys WRT54GL. The principle difference is that the BB provider has a router within the apartment and I'm using one of the connections from the wall.

Firstly, did an ipconfig /all as recommended and noted the resulting IP address. This is with original network cable attached - no wireless.

Then I plugged said cable into the router. Makes sense.

Next I went into the Status-Router tab (attached). I'm assuming the IP address here should be the same as the one you get when I used the network cable. DHCP means that the router (the one in the apartment walls) assigns my wireless router an IP address - correct assumption? And it assigns it the same IP address as it would my PC because it can't see any technical difference, right?
    The IP address that it gave me was of the form 84.203.XXX.XXX.

Now I looked at the Local Network status (attached). The IP address listed here is 192.168.1.1 - again, I'm assuming here, that this is the IP address that the wireless router presents to all its clients. The fact that DHCP Server is enabled means maybe that the wireless router will assign IP addresses to all its clients (such as my PC). Thus these addresses shouldn't conflict with the external WAN address, if I'm on the right line.

... But these settings don't work. I use the ping utility in the router's console and can't even ping the gateway of 84.203.XXX.1 which I assume is a very basic requirement for getting an external connection. The only successful pings are my own machine and the wireless router's IP address itself.

Am I missing something obvious here? Have I got some important gateway address or other obvious feature clearly wrong? Anyone have a notion before I burn my degree in shame?

Nice post, lots of info.

The 84.203 ip is a smart ip address, so it looks like you get a public facing ip from the apt router. Does this ip change or is to always constant?

• Advertisement

irlrobins wrote:
    Nice post, lots of info.

The 84.203 ip is a smart ip address, so it looks like you get a public facing ip from the apt router. Does this ip change or is to always constant?
    It looks like it might change. Before I connected the router I got a .255 address whereas the router got assigned a different one. I noticed that it got a differerent subnet mask too - .252.000 instead of .255.000 (I think the mask made sense for that IP address but I didn't do binary conversion to find out).

Funnily enough, when I plugged in my PC directly again I got the original .255 address. It's possible that someone else connected to the router in the interim in the apartment I guess.

The Linksys router wouldn't let me use a .255 address either - said I had to use between 0-254 range, which I found odd. Maybe it rejected this address when it was first assigned and got the .117 address instead?

Logically I would set the router to get it's public facing ip via DHCP, as that seems to be how your PC gets one. But that doesn't seem to work for you....

irlrobins wrote:

Thanks for the info, however I am confused to where I can set what you mentioned.
    Where can I set the LAN/wireless ip range ?
    Where can I set the WAN side IP ?

I am using dd-wrt firmware (http://www.dd-wrt.com) instead of the default Linksys.

On the Setup page I have set the Local IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway and Local DNS the to what came up in the ipconfig.

My Internet Connection Type is set to Automatic Configuration – DHCP

In the Network Address Server Settings (DHCP) I have enabled DHCP set the DHCP Type to ‘DHCP Server’

In the Wireless tab I have set the Wireless Mode to AP

And on the Linksys WRT54G router I have the cable from the ‘radio’ plugged into one of the 4 ports, rather tan the Internet port.

Advertisement