Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTML-how to get one of my pages to automatically load as the homepage of my domain?

Options
  • 23-03-2007 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

How I can configure it so that a certain page appears as the homepage on my site?
    For example, if I've bought a host at hostname.ie and I've got loadsa pages like page1.htm, page2.htm etc. which will be presumably be loaded by the urls hostname.ie/page1.htm and hostname.ie/page2.htm etc. But how do I get one of these pages to be the homepage so that it is the one that loads as just hostname.ie (with no/pageX.htm at the end)?
    I think I remember reading somewhere that depending on the version of HTML yer using, there's a certain name you can put on the file that will make it load as the homepage, am I right?

Cheers in advance.

Jim

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

generally servers are set up to expect certain files to be the default files - index.htm or index.html would be the most common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭H3LLg0d

yes in your public_html folder the browser will look for your index

So your 'homepage' will be called index.html

so when i type www.yoursite.ie i will see your homepage
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭defenstration

So yer sayin I need to have a public_html folder as well, and put the index in there? Or by public_html, do ya just mean my root directory?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

If you're using apache, look at the DirectoryIndex directive in the httpd conf file. This should help you out with what you want to do .

You can basically set any page to be an index page, but be careful. AFAIK if you set "page1.htm" as an index page in the httpd.conf, it will be set up globally across your domain, not just for the root folder.

hth
    Stephen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

You can custom configure it on a per-folder using .htaccess, but the best way is to just name your index file index.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement